Peacock Cichlids

Status
Not open for further replies.

tin pickles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are all peacocks compatible? Like I could have a 55 gallon peacock tank of random peacocks?

This would be considered a species tank? Sorry for silly question lol my only cichlid experience is a single bumblebee. But I love the blotchy colors of peacocks, and would really like to set up a compatible tank.

Also, the bumble is a bully and is in his own 55 gallon. I would never add peacocks to his tank

Last edited:

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All peacocks can go with other peacocks, but you don't want to mix "pure" males with other females as you will get crossbreed fry. Some individual species are more aggressive than others, but if they are all males and you have at least a dozen or so in a 55gal then I think they will get along just find.

IMO a peacock is a peacock and can be mixed with other peacocks, there are just different color strains due to individual groups being so isolated in their natural habitat. Some hardcore African keepers will bash anyone who has "crossbreeds" or "hybrids", so if pure strains of a peacock mix with another strain you will have "less desirable" fry, which is true-ish as the pure breeds sell for higher prices.

If you do end up mixing genders, you should only have 2-3 males with at least 2 or 3 females per male. This seems kinda pointless to do if you plan on getting breeding groups of pure strain peacocks as any male will spawn with any female and you will end up with mixed peacocks. So if you plan to breed them, only keep one species or simply buy the fish labeled as mixed peacocks as they are not a specific color form/species.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You mean orange blotch? Technically they are, somewhere along the line there's some sort of mbuna blood in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom