Peacock Cichlid Getting Pale Help

1. SomethingsFishy1014 Member Member

I got my peacock cichlids about two weeks ago. I believe they are both female. One was a dark gray/ brown. She is now very pale gray, except for at feeding time, she gets darker again. She's showing no signs of stress, not being bullied and has plenty of hiding spots. My tank is STILL cycling.
    .25 ammonia
    .50 nitrite
    20 nitrate
    Ph 7.2

First picture is the day I got her. 1dc7388193b5c55e5f89e23b3bf8f210.jpg 13375f48099f7367853aeea365aad572.jpg
    Second is her today.

2. Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Cichlids change color depending on their mood, it's totally normal for them to change color sometimes.

3. ludez Member Member

Boy those two have sunken stomachs. I'd get food into them asap

4. Ed204 Well Known Member Member

It's best to not overfeed Cichlids, one feeding per day and one fasting day day a week should be efficent. Obesity will kill Cichlids.

5. ludez Member Member

That's news to me, I've fed my 100s of species three times a day for years. Over feeding is bad, but sunken stomach is worse

6. Ed204 Well Known Member Member

That would depend on your feeding, if you feed small portions 3 times a day it should be fine. I feed my Cichlids one decent meal once a day.

7. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Did you quarantine them at all? Or are they the first fish in the new tank? So basically its own quarantine tank?

If you are feeding them appropriately you need to think of maybe something else going on.

What dechlorinator are you using? How are you cycling your tank?

8. SomethingsFishy1014 Member Member

Yeah in the beginning they did. They're pigs now and eat bloodworms and pellets.

The first picture was the first day in the tank. Their stomachs look normal now as they eat normally.

I use prime and do daily 40% water changes

9. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Ok stop doing the daily water changes. It will affect your cycle. Do this instead.

Ammonia + Nitrites = less than 1ppm dose full tank volume Prime & bottled bacteria. Recheck in 24 hours.
    Ammonia + Nitrites = 1ppm or higher do 50% water change and dose full tank volume of Prime & bottled bacteria. Recheck in 24 hours.

Be sure to dose Prime at 0.1ml per gallon. A 10g is 1ml. 20 gallon 2ml and so on. And while cycling dose for full tank volume.

I would also test your tap water parameters. Just so you have a baseline of where your water starts. It is always good to know. Be sure to keep an eye on your pH also. You don't want it to drop to far. If there is a huge difference between your tap and your tank, then you may need to add a buffer to your tank.

Also I would make sure your tank temp is on the high side until you are fully cycled. Bacteria like higher temps. Don't risk the fish's health over it, but maybe bump it up a degree or two.

10. SomethingsFishy1014 Member Member

Ok so thanks for the advice.
    My tap contains 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. About 10 nitrates.

Ph is 7.4 and temp is 80

11. SomethingsFishy1014 Member Member

So I can do a full bottle of bacteria a day? Or just some every day?

12. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Just do a little every day. I would do a teaspoon or two each day. If you add it all at once most of the bacteria will die off quickly. Adding small amounts over several days will help it survive and reproduce like you want it to.

13. SomethingsFishy1014 Member Member

I just added crushed coral/oyster shells yesterday. KH is still at 3-4 so I added some more today

14. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Not with African Cichlids. They need a steady diet of low protein pellets or flakes, some algae, and peas. They are extremely susceptible to bloating and have many digestive problems. I fasted mine twice a week and kept their temps a little lower (slows metabolism down, and helps lower aggression).

15. ludez Member Member

Not when they are under weight.......

16. WiFi Well Known Member Member

You can't just start dumping food in the tank to fatten them up.. Africans don't work like that, most other fish sure. Usually on Africans the sunken belly doesn't mean malnourishment. Sometimes the cause is parasites, and will go untreated. Trust me, I've been breeding them for the past 5 years or so, and owned them even longer. They are unlike any other fresh water species that I've seen. More like the marine fish then freshwater.

17. ludez Member Member

I've been breeding and keeping them for the last 18 years. Aulonacaras especially are prone to sunken stomachs, getting food into them asap then doing a stricter diet is the best course. Then you can see if they have other symptoms

18. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't add anymore after that. It will take 4-5 days before the coral steadies the kH. The first few days it will go up pretty steadily and then it will even out.

19. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Feeding them yes, but you can't just go from a normal about and double that the next day because two fish are a little malnourished. Unless they separate the fish into a QT, it is going to affect the other cichlids diet.

20. ludez Member Member

No one suggested doing that.