Peacock Cichlid Fry Hatchlings

blondiii

Recently I have had my first set of fry hatchlings. The mom is an albino peacock cichlid, she has been holding them in her mouth and hasn’t let them out until the first time today. She let them in and out of her mouth through out the day, but I was wondering how long I should keep her with the fry for? I’ve never dealt with babies before and I’m just not 100% sure how to go about it. I read on some websites that mom can stay with them for a while, and others say to take her out as soon as they hatch. Any advice would be appreciated!

Demeter

The fry will be fine without mom now, they have completely absorbed their yolk sacs and you can start feeding them now. She will likely gather them up again when you try to take her out, so stripping the fry from her mouth may be needed. I use a paper clip to hold the mouth open and as she tries to dislodge the clip she should spit out the fry. Takes a few tries but I've never had any problems doing this. Watch some videos to get a better idea.

On the other hand, mom can stay with them for some time, the main problem is when she holds them all the time then they are not eating. I've had a female spit out a batch of skinny, dead fry that I assume starved (they were in the main tank, not a rearing tank). From my experience the female will keep gathering them up at night and protect them for quite some time. I've see my own females try gathering them up but they had grown too big for her to hold them all. In theory, so long as it is just mom with the fry and there is plenty of room I would expect her not to eat any of them.

blondiii

The fry will be fine without mom now, they have completely absorbed their yolk sacs and you can start feeding them now. She will likely gather them up again when you try to take her out, so stripping the fry from her mouth may be needed. I use a paper clip to hold the mouth open and as she tries to dislodge the clip she should spit out the fry. Takes a few tries but I've never had any problems doing this. Watch some videos to get a better idea.

On the other hand, mom can stay with them for some time, the main problem is when she holds them all the time then they are not eating. I've had a female spit out a batch of skinny, dead fry that I assume starved (they were in the main tank, not a rearing tank). From my experience the female will keep gathering them up at night and protect them for quite some time. I've see my own females try gathering them up but they had grown too big for her to hold them all. In theory, so long as it is just mom with the fry and there is plenty of room I would expect her not to eat any of them.
I ended up putting mom back into the main tank last night, the babies started hiding from her and she started swimming up and down since she no longer wanted to be in the smaller tank. Everyone seems to be doing good and the babies have been very active! They’ve eaten a couple times for me today and I’m hoping all goes good! I’ve never tried raising fry before so I’m still a little nervous haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
qldmick
Replies
Views
Demeter
  • Question
Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Question