Peacock Cichlid , Female Hiding Behind Filter

Vignesh Jagraj

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 4.5 feet long , 12 inches tall tank I recently set up . So far I've added 3 pairs of tiger barbs and a pair of Peacock Cihlids (one male and one female ) on the beginning week they seemed to school around my tank together with the barbs . It was quite fun to watch them , but then by the second week the male peacock started harassing the female cichlid and sometimes the tiger barbs joined in as well , so now the tiger barb stays behind my filter most of the times (my filter pump which is close to the brI'm ) . She only comes out to eat and switch sides in the tank sometimes.Since my tank is long I have two filters on either sides and she likes switching sides in between . But even then she comes out to have fun and roam around but then the male immediately finds her and chases her away to the filters.
Will she die? What should I do . She comes out to eat and fights for the food but she stays behind the filter most of the time . P.S .I will be adding more fish over time.

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vignesh Jagraj said:
I have a 4.5 feet long , 12 inches tall tank I recently set up . So far I've added 3 pairs of tiger barbs and a pair of Peacock Cihlids (one male and one female ) on the beginning week they seemed to school around my tank together with the barbs . It was quite fun to watch them , but then by the second week the male peacock started harassing the female cichlid and sometimes the tiger barbs joined in as well , so now the tiger barb stays behind my filter most of the times (my filter pump which is close to the brI'm ) . She only comes out to eat and switch sides in the tank sometimes.Since my tank is long I have two filters on either sides and she likes switching sides in between . But even then she comes out to have fun and roam around but then the male immediately finds her and chases her away to the filters.
Will she die? What should I do . She comes out to eat and fights for the food but she stays behind the filter most of the time . P.S .I will be adding more fish over time.
ive had that happen with cichlids often...the betta fish which can be a male or female will often hide towards the surface and behind the filter...you may want to remove the female and try getting another male

OP
Vignesh Jagraj

Vignesh Jagraj

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ernest Sacco said:
ive had that happen with cichlids often...the betta fish which can be a male or female will often hide towards the surface and behind the filter...you may want to remove the female and try getting another male
If I add more female cichlids , is there a chance that this one will be able to move around freely again

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vignesh Jagraj said:
My male peacock is scared of my female, go figure.

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vignesh Jagraj said:
If I add more female cichlids , is there a chance that this one will be able to move around freely again
possibly yes... I would add two more

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ernest Sacco said:
possibly yes... I would add two more
All my female GBR's ran away from the male.......... My male apisto is scared of my female though lol.... hes like 3 times bigger too....

It's like the .5 inch killifish at my LFS chassing off tetras that were 3 inches in size XD

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IcedColdMine said:
All my female GBR's ran away from the male.......... My male apisto is scared of my female though lol.... hes like 3 times bigger too....

It's like the .5 inch killifish at my LFS chassing off tetras that were 3 inches in size XD
I had the same problem with my jack dempseys....years ago my first large male died....amd I replaced him with a smaller male...well the female became completely dominant

OP
Vignesh Jagraj

Vignesh Jagraj

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So the larger ones tend to dominate ? My female is smaller than the male by at least 1-1.5cm .

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vignesh Jagraj said:
So the larger ones tend to dominate ? My female is smaller than the male by at least 1-1.5cm .
To a point....all cichlids are different....you can get a 2 inch fiesty green terror that dominates a tank

New Threads