Peacock cichlid eye issue

SinisterCichlids

Hello, I noticed as I was turning off my aquarium light for the night that one of my cichlid's eye has a white fungus of some sort below and around the eye. It looks like the fish has white eyeliner only on the bottom half of the eye. I thought it was pretty weird. Also, the eye doesn't look swollen, it actually looks more pushed in than anything. Maybe it just appears sunken in because it's actually swollen. I didn't really get a good look at him. I am attaching a photo of her other eye that I took two weeks ago and a photo I just took. I think you can see the difference in his eyes there. Also, lost a lot of color, but that was just due to it being night time and the lights were off.

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ish.

I've had the fish for less then a month. He is eating, but not destroying food like usual and a bit skittish. I don't think it was from aggression or anything. They are juvenile peacocks and the tank is severely understocked right now. No signs of aggression. I threw some melafix in the water because I thought it was maybe something related to popeye. Maybe it is just popeye or some type of fungal infection? It doesn't look like he scraped it on a rock or something. Does anyone have any ideas? A201 BigBeardDaHuZi

Attachments

• IMG_9450.jpg
    IMG_9450.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9689.jpg
    IMG_9689.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 22

A201

The cause of the eye problem is either injury related or a bacterial infection.
African Cicichlids are abrasion magnets. It's their nature.
About all that can be done is keep the water clean. A lot of keepers, including the manager of my LFS, use Melafix as a disinfectant. Maybe that will help.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

The cause of the eye problem is either injury related or a bacterial infection.
African Cicichlids are abrasion magnets. It's their nature.
About all that can be done is keep the water clean. A lot of keepers, including the manager of my LFS, use Melafix as a disinfectant. Maybe that will help.

Yeah, that's the plan, the water is really clean, but who doesn't love doing more water changes? Just gonna use melafix and hope for the best. I didn't get the fish at the most reputable of places... He was more of a diamond in the ruff hahaha. Do you see what I see though? Like I am not crazy, it looks different and maybe swollen/white etc?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Very much bacterial IF there is an infection. I don't really see anything though besides maybe a slight cloudiness on the outer rim. So go on doing waterchanges.
Though I have seen eye conditions caused by wrong water hardness. What's your KH and GH? Just to check.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FrillyLily
Replies
Views
Slushlily
Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies