Peacock Cichlid Eggs?

1. Leguminote

Leguminote New Member Member

My wife put Dwight (my bully OB peacock) and Angela (one of my females) back in the same tank because "dwight looked sad and lonely". A day later Angela's chin was huge and you could see eggs tumbling around in her mouth. We removed dwight again because he was chasing her everywhere still, and left Angela all alone in her tank. After a couple of days, her chin got smaller and it appeared she only had 1 egg in there. Today I found the other eggs on the sand behind her cave. Is there a reason she spit them? Also, will they still hatch, or do they need to be removed? Thanks. 20180916_103803.jpg

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I don't know the answer to your question so just musing. Is it possible that the male and female have to be left together until the eggs actually hatch. Could removing him have caused her to just spit the eggs out knowing that without him the eggs wouldn't be viable.

3. OP
    OP
    Leguminote

Leguminote New Member Member

Possibly. My understanding was that she would lay them, he would fertalize, and she would pick them up and carry them until they hatched