Help Peacock Chiclid Harms Its Partner

Puppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,
I have got recently 2x Peacock Chiclid and 2x Giraffe Chiclid and 1x Oscar. I already had one Oscar, so now have 6 fishes in a 26 gallon tank. The issue is one of the peacock chiclid behaves aggressively to the other one and tries to hit it every time. It doesn’t harms other ones except it’s partner. Due that reason, it hides behind my filter piping system.
If this thing keeps going on, I’m worried that one peacock chiclid may kill the other one.
Is there any possible way to prevent this ??

Thank you.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have several medium-large, aggressive species in a tank that is far too small for any of them. The peacocks and giraffe haps (venustus?) are African Rift lake cichlids that are known for their aggression and incompatibility with non-rift lake species. Generally peacocks will hit the 5-7in range, giraffe haps closer to 8in. The Oscar is an American cichlid that is rather docile in comparison to Africans, it should reach a good 12in+. American and African cichlids should not be mixed in my opinion.

The peacocks are likely fighting because the tank is too small and the dominant fish, likely male, is bullying the other male/female. They aren't too nice to their own kind which is why they need a large and long tank around 55gals and a male to female ratio of 1m/3+f. Keeping them in slightly overstocked conditions helps spread aggression so the bullied fish can get lost in the crowd. I keep about 13 adult peacocks in a 55gal with few problems.

I suggest you do a bit of researching on your own to get a better understanding of what the species you keep need to live a happy and healthy life. A few things to start with is investing in a larger tank, separating the Africans from the oscar, and adding more Africans to spread aggression. Honestly it may be easier to switch to a different stocking, with fish that are more suitable for your tank size. Either way, I strongly suggest you research what your fish need.

Puppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, I never did in-depth research of these things. Henceforth I will not mix American with African chiclids.
Thank you !!

Top Bottom