peaceful tetras

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by 0morrokh, Apr 21, 2006.

1. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

ok, so what tetras are peaceful enough to be compatible with female Bettas? I know I had already "decided" on Cardinals, but I'm starting to rethink. The man at my lfs (who obviously actually knows how to keep fish!!) confirmed what I had sort of thought, that tetras only live a few years, not the huge MAX lifespans they give you on websites...so now I don't have the lifespan limit (I can only have fish that won't live too long since I will be going to college in several years). So...which tetras aren't going to tear up their fins?

2. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Little update: I want 1.5" tetras (so I can have more ;D), which means Neons, Glowlights, Black Neons, or Flames (aka Von Rios). (let me know if you know of any others.) I think Neons are too nippy. Glowlights are peaceful, aren't they? Don't know about Black Neons or Flames, although I don't think they sell Black Neons at my lfs and I'm not buying fish anywhere else. So I guess it's between Glowlights and Flames, for now anyway. ::) Any thoughts? Just so you know, the Bettas will be in a group of 4 and the tetras in a shoal of 8 (I think...), so there should be plenty of fish of both species to divert aggression...
    Anyway, what do you guys and gals think?

3. Skadunkadunk

SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

Glowlight tetras will probably work, but you would probably be better with black neons if you can find them.

4. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Really? Ok...I just don't want to buy fish at petco or something...I'll see what I can find at my lfs. I did some research and I don't think Flames would be ideal. What about Neons? Is there any way they could work? I mean, the Bettas are females, so they wouldn't be so prone to nipping...

5. Skadunkadunk

SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

Neons may work if there in a school, but it may be risky.

6. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Yeah I'm not gonna risk Neons. I'll get Black Neons if my lfs gets them.

7. Caitlin Rose

Caitlin RoseNew MemberMember

Black Neon Tetras are the best! They are small and peaceful (they show no interest in nipping my male guppy fins) and a school of them will keep to themselves and look very beautiful too! I wouldn't get less than 5, I have that many now and as soon as we get a bigger tank I think they would be happier with more companions. (I have a 10 gallon and next week or so I will hopefully upgrade to 29! Happy birth day to me!

8. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Happy Birthday!! :D
    actually, I usually recommend 6 in a shoal. 5 is pushing it. I'm planning to get 8 or so. That's good you thought to mention it though. Too many people just have 2 or 3 of a kind of tetra. :(

9. ncje

ncjeValued MemberMember

I dont know what is good but I can say DONT use Rummy nose of any kind.

10. lhenkin

lhenkinNew MemberMember

I have three of the Flame (Von Rio) tetras and they are very peaceful.

11. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Yes, there are plenty of peaceful tetras, but unfortunately many fish go from peaceful to die-hard fin nippers in the presence of Bettas. Actually I had considered Flame Tetras as an option, but upon researching them I found they were a little skittish, and Bettas can be bullies so I don't want the opposite problem. You see why it's so hard to find tank mates for them... :p
    Well, thanks for the suggestion :)

12. Caitlin Rose

Caitlin RoseNew MemberMember

Yay! I got my 29 gallon tank and might start setting it up today :D I can't wait see what it will turn out like!

13. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

You should get harlequin rasboras, Look great in planted tanks and aren't fin nippers.