Peaceful Stocking Options 60 Gallon Tank

1. Chemgrl08 Initiate Member

Hi all- new to the forum but I've ended up lurking a few times due to google searches. :)
    I'm setting up my "dream tank" and have been getting conflicting information about compatible fish as far as their passivity/aggression.
    Right now, I have:
    *Beckford/Golden Pencilfish x 3* (will be making this more like 11-12)
    gold cloud minnows x 6
    Guppies x 3
    balloon mollies x 2
    otocinclus x 3
    cory cats x 3 (will up this to 6-10; had some recent deaths as these fish are kind of old)
    Magenta mystery snails x 6 (No loaches, please!)

The pencilfish are my babies. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them, so basically I want to cater to their environmental needs as #1. I'd like to keep the guppies so that puts out anything that is notoriously a fin-nipper. The balloon mollies I could do without, but I don't hate them either. I'd like to add some mixture of the following, ballpark numbers here but I'll tease out the exact numbers later:
    Celestial pearl danio x 6
    Penguin tetra x 8
    Powder Blue dwarf gourami pair (temperment compatible? Gets too big?)
    habrosus cory x 6-10 (would this be good company for the larger albino cories already in the tank? Or should I get cories that are more their size?)
    Pair of scarlet badis (badis badis)? Too nippy?
    Hatchetfish? (Ph need too low?)
    Red cherry shrimp x ? (might they become food for badis and/or gourami?)
    Colorful killifish? (too aggressive?)
    Other suggestions?

I seem to really like live bearers and schooling fish- I think that a big school of neons could look really cool, but I like the schooling fish I have already and don't really want to add different types, although I kind of contradict that with the penguin tetras. I like a lot of the more colorful killifish, but I'm leery of them as they seem to be a tad aggressive (had a bad experience with one in the past.) I want something that would contrast with my schools, something that is a tad larger than the small fish I have stocked right now, but won't bother the existing fish too much. There's also a lot of red/yellow and stripes going on. What's your opinion on making it more diverse with some blue or keeping colors in the red/yellow range? Looked at threadfin rainbow for a bit but I'm just not too thrilled with them. Ideally I'd like to try the badis and/or the dwarf gourami, but I'm unsure.

I really appreciate any suggestions. I've attached a pic of my setup. Feel free to ask about any other tank parameters I may have omitted.
    This is a 60 gal, pH is higher than I would like at 8.0 (I am shooting for more like 7.0 (we'll leave the issue of how to address that to a different forum, just know that I'd like it lower.) Temp is around 76*F, planted tank dosing with fertilizer although it consistently stays at nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia all 0ppm (still trying to nail the correct dosage.) Fluorite substrate. Planning to add many more plants.

Tl;dr 60gal planted tank. I love my pencilfish. I have the fish in the first list. Which of the second list would work to add to the setup?

Attached Files:

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would get the penguin tetras. And let the mollies and guppies breed.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Don't mess with the pH, it can only harm your fish. Why do you want it lower?
    What are the dimensions of the tank?

4. Chemgrl08 Initiate Member

Optimum pH for pencilfish is closer to 7. I'll be investigating ways to change the pH slowly over time, nothing drastic. Tank dimensions are about 48" long x 23" tall x 12" deep.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Optimum pH levels are nonsense. Unless you get wild-caught pencilfish than you don't need to mess with pH. A stable pH is far more important than changing it, when it doesn't need to be changed.

I'd up the otos to 8. What type of cories do you have right now?
    CPDs would be fine, but do more than just 6. Do around 8-10. That goes for all of your schooling fish tbh.

Cherry shrimp could be eaten, so I'd go with amano shrimp instead.

Dwarf gouramis are compatible.

6. Chemgrl08 Initiate Member

The cories are albinos. For the schooling fish, yes, I do plan on getting more. I love the look of schooling fish! Glad to hear the dwarf gouramis would be compatible- I've heard they can be nippy but it probably depends on the individual.
    Any specific reason for suggesting more otos? Just for general cleanup purposes?
    I was hopeful on the cherry shrimp but I think I new inside they wouldn't be a good fit. TThan you for the suggestions!

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, it depends on the individual but they should be OK with the other fish, especially in this size tank, plenty of room available.

Otos are shoaling fish and should be kept in bigger groups, but more will definitely help algae as well.

No problem!

As for the other things mentioned in the OP,
    Hatchetfish could work, I'd do marbled hatchets.
    Scarlet badis would be kind of questionable. I think peacock gudgeons would work better, see if you like those.
    I would not get killifish, the only community type one I know of gets too aggressive.

As for cories, make sure that they are all the same type in a group of 6+, no mixing and matching unless they have their own groups of 6 or more.

8. Chemgrl08 Initiate Member

I had just happened upon peacock gudgeons today online and was thinking they could work! It must be a sign. I'll get more albino cories, otos, pencilfish, some peacock gudgeons, and see how it is from there. If there's adequate space, I'll probably go for penguin tetras. Best to go nice and slow, imo. :) Dwarf gouramis are cool too but I feel like I should have either that or the gudgeons rather than both. So excited to get this tank stocked!