peaceful shark

1. polojoanne Member Member

Wonder if u can advise me on the best community shark and non aggressive type suitable please. this is a new set up we have 6 neons and a cory so far, we would like to add guppies, mollies, glass catfish, siamese fighters etc so really would like a peaceful shark .thanks

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Before the members can help with stocking advice, it would help if they knew how many Liters/Gallons your tank is.
    If you could edit your aquarium info to include this info, it would great!
    Thanks!

I see in your other thread, some members provided links to the nitrogen cycle.
    It would be a good idea to read that link and get the tank cycled before adding anything.

Best of luck with your new tank and post some pics when you get a chance!

:;tmnt Shawnie...quick on the keyboard. lol

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

5. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think there are really any sharks that are suitable for a 82cm long tank.
    Fighters are not usually recommended for community aquaria either. They have been raised on thier own thier entire lives & often don't take well to sharing a tank with anything at all. Usually the result is a few dead fish. It can be done but there is a significant risk involved.

Do yourself & your fish a huge favour & read the articles on the nitrogen cycle that can be found on this site. It's vital that you read these articles or you will have trouble with your tank & may end up with dead fish. I don't mean to alarm you but it is probably the most important thing to learn as an aquarium owner. I don't know what the "proper PH powder" is but chemicals for adjusting PH are usually bad news. They can cause PH crashes & unbalanced water conditions that in some cases can kill fish. There are plenty of natural methods for controlling PH that are safer for your fish & will be cheaper for you in the long run.

6. polojoanne Member Member

hi yes no cloudy water lol been set up 4days fish all lookin good, its roughly20 gallon tank

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

did you read the links and advice other members have shared with you? it takes weeks to cycle a tank and just because its clear, doesnt mean its ok :(

there is no shark that will fit in your size tank..unfortunately you are stocked to capacity for that size....

I hope you get it cycled soon!

8. polojoanne Member Member

o god hope im not out of my depth here thought id done everything right, using conditioner and ph balance etc buying test kit in the morning for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph

we only have 6noeons and a cory at the moment

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Unfortunaly most stores are more than happy to sell equipment and fish without adding any education into the mix.
    You're not in over your head, you'll just need to do some reading.
    Along with your research and the members help you'll be fine. :)
    Here's a great pace to start:
    Beginner links
    Read the page, then scroll to the bottom and read the beginner links.

10. polojoanne Member Member

thanks we just watched the set up video an feel loads better now weve done everything right apart from need test strips for ammonia and nitrate will do that in the morning and levels to be zero before adding any other fish

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The strips can be inaccurate. It would be a good idea to invest in a good liquid test kit.
    Many of us use the API Master kit. It's very reliable. Along with ammonia and nitrAtes, you'll need to test for nitrItes. It can be expensive, but it's lasts a long time and is less costly than the strips in the long run.

Here's a basic explanation of the nitrogen cycle:

First your ammonia (from fish waste and left over food) will rise.
    In a few weeks bacteria will start to develop and you'll see the nitrite levels rise and the ammonia levels start to drop.
    After a few more weeks a different kind of bacteria begins to develop and you'll see the nitrate levels rise and the nitrite levels drop.
    Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to your fish.
    So until your cycle is complete, you need to keep those levels down with 50% daily water changes.
    If your pH differs greatly from tap to tank 2 25% changes a day would be safer.
    Using Prime as your water conditioner will detox the ammonia for 24 hrs between water changes.
    When you having readings of 0 on both ammonia and nitrites with some (5-10) nitrates showing, your cycle is done.

12. polojoanne Member Member

ok so wen i test tomor the likelyhood is levels will be low roughly wen will they rise so high we need to change half the water and for how long ?

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't already have an ammonia reading.
    Any ammonia is toxic. Exposure to ammonia (and eventually nitrItes) will weaken your fish. This leaves them open to disease and illness.

Cycling can take up to a month. Be patient, you're looking at a lot of daily water changes
    Oh, I didn't see it mentioned but Stress Zyme really won't help cycle your tank. Imo, you should stop using it.

I'm sorry, I know it can be overwhelming. Hang in there :)

14. polojoanne Member Member

lol were still readin up all the info and starting to understand a lot more wel start water changing 25 percent tomorow too, hoping the cory and neons will be ok through all this, just measured our tank properly and its a 27 gallon one so will have to consider the shark option once were through all this lol cheers