peaceful fish for a 50 gallon tropical fish tank.

1. tom5678 Member Member

i have just got a new 50 gallon tropical aquarium and all that i have in it is 2 neon tetras and a bristle nose catfish. they look lost in it.
    trouble is i dont know what fish are good to go with my other fish.
    they must be relatively small and peaceful so that they dont eat the neons.
    any ideas on good fish?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    also is an elephant nose fish to big for the tank or would there be any other problems with an elephant nose fish like fighting??
    thanks ;D

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

I don't really know anything about elephant nose fish so can't answer that.
    But Platys are very nice community fish :) Guppy's can look beautiful too. I love Mollies in community tanks, but some people don't like to have them in freshwater tanks.

They are all live bearers though so be careful that you are getting the right ratio of females to males if you decide to get them as males can hound the poor females if not. And they are prolific breeders!

Are you looking for schooling fish too?

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like an amazing tank!!

I would add 5-10 more neons ...5 at a time.....wait a week and maybe add some danios, platies, guppies, angels, gouramis , are a few that could work...

some members have had their angels eat their neons but mine dont bother them...especially if they grow up with the neons ...

elephant nose would work as long as he is the only one..but they get to 9-10 inches eventually

good luck and share some pics when you can!!

4. tom5678 Member Member

no more livebearers ;)
    i had loads of platys before in my 15 gallon tank and they had so many little baby fish (fry) that i could not fit them all =[.
    and im not sure about schooling. i might get some more neons.
    i was also thinking about guaramis, if an elephant nose is not a good choice, but i don't know if the are good community fish or how big they grow.

5. Shadowbeam Member Member

hehe ok that takes care of my suggestions ;)

Maybe a German Blue Ram? Iv'e heard they are very peaceful, but not sure with neons? But only add GBR's to an established tank. And plenty of hiding places! But they look so beautiful :D

6. tom5678 Member Member

wow danios look good. i have never heard of them before. i dont really want angels though if there is a chance that they will eat my neons.
    the elephant nose sounds like a bad idea too as it gets far to big for the tank.
    why do you need to add neons 5 at a time?

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

5 gives them a good school to add at once ..but wont overwhelm the bioload as they are tiny poo'rs LOL

how about 2 albino bristle nose plecs for the bottom? LOVE them lol....

8. tom5678 Member Member

wow the german blue rams look amazing on google, if i see one that looks like that i would get it =]. i have never seen one before though are they hard to buy?

i already have a bristle nose of some sort and he doesnt like other plecos. also he is much bigger than the smaller ones that you buy from shops so he would eat them in one go =[.

actually i only moved him from the 15 gallon tank about 4 hrs ago and since then he has not moved out of a hollow tree type thing. in the 15 gallon he did not usually come out of it because he didnt have much room.
    so is there any way of getting him to swim around a bit more now he has more space?
    or do i just have to wait for a while?

9. Shadowbeam Member Member

I'm not sure how difficult it is to get GBR's, but I am yet to see one at any of my LFS :( You could always try and request one once your tank has been running a while and is nicely established, well worth it IMO!
    Danios can be great schoolers I agree :) there are a few different types, like leopard and zebra.

Give him a bit of time, since he has just moved :) I'm not sure if Pleco's mainly come out at night anyway? Someone who knows them better can help you with that :)

10. tom5678 Member Member

im not sure if i can fit danios if they need to be in schools, because i need to get at least 8 more neons to make the 2 that i have already a bit happier =].
    how many small fish like neons and danios could i have?

ok ill wait and see lol
    i just hardly ever see him. i saw him when i took his 'house' out to clean it just after i moved him but then he went straight back into it when i put it back into the tank. =[

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you could have a school of 10 neons, 6 danios, your pleco, and maybe a dwarf gourami of some kind?

12. tom5678 Member Member

that sounds good actually sorry for not replying i read the thing about needing a well planter tank - then looked at mine. its kind of the opposite. so i am putting the plants from the 15 gallon into the 50 gallon as the 15 gallon is now empty.