Peaceful Centerfish For 40 Gallon + Neon Tetras? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by HenryC, Jun 25, 2019.

1. HenryCNew MemberMember

I am looking for some centerpieces fish for my 40 gal aquarium, something peaceful that can live in harmony with neon tetras. Do you guys have any recommendations besides the smaller gouramis?

I was thinking Rams but I've read they can be aggressive, plus they need somewhat low pH compared to some other fishies. Or would they be ok in my setup? I'm also thinking in putting some cherry shrimps.

My water pH is 7.8 straight out of the faucet. I do not know my hardness yet. It is planted, with driftwood and fine gravel (it is the aquarium on my pic)

2. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

3. HenryCNew MemberMember

Which one are you talking about? Aren't those like super big?

4. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I meant to say Blood Parrot. As far as size, IMO, no.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Rams don't need lower pH. Don't worry about your pH, acidic water fish have been tank-bred and have adjusted to harder water. Bolivian rams are an option, not GBRs though as they need warmer water than neons.

6. GlennOValued MemberMember

What about some larger differently shaped tetras. Bleeding Hearts are nice and a small school of mature ones can definitely be an aquarium centrepiece.

7. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I have bolivians with neon tetra. They are completely fine together - never bother each other. The only time they interact is when the rams breed and the tetra come close. Even then the rams just dash forward a tiny bit to cause the neons to back away. Not aggressive at all. Bolivians are my favourite fish too - so I recommend them. German Blues aren't temp compatible with neons if those are the rams you were looking for. Cherry shrimp may not do great with rams though. My amano and vampire shrimp are fine. If you do more than one ram you would have to add hardscape and/or plants to block line of site as they can be somewhat stand-offish with each other.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  8. HenryCNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone, I think I will either go with a Bolivian Ram or a Blood Parrot, I'm just conflicted about the blood parrot, I've read about the ethics surrounding it (basically the pug of the fish world lol). I saw that my local Wal-Mart had 2 and I was thinking of taking a chance and getting one out of these ugly tanks.

Or... why not both? Can I have both ram and blood parrot? Do those two go well? What about blood parrot + dwarf/honey gourami?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  9. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I've never kept a blood parrot, but I don't think they'd be a great fit with neon tetras, as those are so small. I know BPs have a weird issue with their mouths, but wouldn't they try to eat the tetras?
    Edit:
    You could do both a bolivian ram and a gourami, as another option, like a honey or dwarf gourami. Thick-lipped or banded gouramis are also options.

10. HenryCNew MemberMember

That's a nice idea too, no aggression at all between the gourami and the ram? Would I need to rearrange plants to break visibility? My tank is the one on my profile pic.

11. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The two generally occupy separate areas of the tank, there shouldn't be an issue between them. However this could be a possibility, but I wouldn't worry about it, as it always depends on the personality of each fish.

No I don't think you would need to rearrange plants.

12. HenryCNew MemberMember

Thanks a lot for your help!

13. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No problem!