Peaceful Calm Schooling Fish For 25 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by tum0r, Apr 9, 2018.

1. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

I don't know if a calm species of schooling fish exist, but high energy fish in my experience are quite nippy and will outpace my 2 platies I currently have in the 25 gallon. I'm wondering if you guys can think of a 2 inch max size schooling fish species that aren't very nippy or that are calmer and more relaxed?

2. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

well lets rule out most tetras since they are usually nippy.
    there are Harlequin rasboras, glowlight tetras, bloodfin tetras and white cloud mountain however lets forget the last one since they prefer cooler waters

3. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

What makes glowlight and bloodfin tetras less nippy or more reasonable than most other tetras? Have you just found them to be calmer in your experience? I had considered the harlequin rasboras, are there any other rasboras that act similarly or that act just as relaxed as the harlequins?

4. shiv234

i have found in larger groups they are less nippy but it may be a hit or miss. From experience those are the 3 that were the least nippy

5. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Thank you for the input, much much appreciated I assure you. Perhaps I shouldn't get a school, do you reckon it might be better for me to just get more platies and other livebearers like swordtails, guppies or mollies?

6. shiv234

why don't you get cories. They are not nippy in the slightest

7. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

I like the concept of the cories, but my aquarium is a standard size, it's fairly tall and I have a lot of hardscape placed so it isn't the best environment for cories, they won't have a lot of space to move around. :(

8. shiv234

pygmy cories are mid dwellers

9. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I have 6 long finned black skirt tetras in my tank. They are not nippy at all and for the most part are very calm. They are the perfect mid tank dwellers for my tank.

edited to add: they are right at 2 years old now so I assume they are full grown. The largest of them is close to 2 inches long not including the flowing tail.

10. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Are they high energy in your opinion or more calm?

I'm fairly certain my LFS doesn't sell pygmy cories though :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2018
  11. shiv234

black skirts we somewhere in the middle for me. Some times they were nippy and sometimes they were normal

ok

12. mattgirl

Mine are very calm. the only time they get in a hurry is at feeding time.

13. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

I think that Danios could be a good choice, especially for a big 25 gallon, just keep them in groups of 6 or more
    Rasboras might, and again might work.
    I think that neon Tetras could be a good choice, as wells as glofish tetras( I house seven of them with my four platys and they get along fine)

14. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Danios are extremely high energy though, are they not? I've heard they get quite nippy, I think their temperament is kind of a hit or miss situation. I've also heard that neon tetras are quite bad nippers, although I have heard good things about glowfish tetras.

I'll give them a look then, thank you for the suggestion :)

15. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

Glofish Tetras are genetically altered black widow Tetras I believe, so their not that crazy. I think that sometimes Danios can sort of be jerks, but I’ve never seen mine attack another fish, but you really should keep them in groups of six(at the least), otherwise they go psycho

16. mattgirl

Maybe I just have a naturally calm tank because I also have neon tetras and have never seen them nippy either. Right now I have 8 of them and they pretty much just hang out together and never bother either each other or anyone else.

You are right about danios. (I have both zebra and pearl) They think they are race horses and never slow down. Never nippy but never still either :)

17. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Most everyone loves Corys. Pygmy Corys are great. : ) IF and when you opt for whatever breed of Corys, in consideration with your tank size you could get either 3-6. Most do very well and even better, in a group of 6. SOME Tetras and Danios can be nipyy, however in my experience, the size of the tank IS very relevant and relative. Cardinal tetras aren't all that nippy though...err at least the ones I've had in the past...had a big school of about 16.

18. Five 97

Five 97Well Known MemberMember

What else is in the tank? IME, zebra danios aren't nippy at all, they just never sit still. CPDs, EDRs, GRDs, and GDs are all "calmer" danionins and aren't as hyped up as zebras, staying below 2".
    Ruby tetras (OR Embers) would work very nicely & Kubotai rasboras are also very peaceful and both max out at approx. 0.75", although I would say the rubies get a smidgen bigger (not past an inch though).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Ahh that's fairly interesting, I didn't know that. Ya I know keeping them in appropriately sized schools will help keep the aggression to a minimum but I still think their high energy might be too much for my platies haha. But I really appreciate your input, thank you!
    Haha, I've heard as much about the danios :p I think you might have lucked out with those neons though, I just went browsing through some older forums on neons and it turns out there have been some neon nippy massacres out there :confused:
    I'm thinking of avoiding cories for the moment just because of the amount of hardscape taking up the ground space in my current settup. I wouldn't mind doing the pygmies but I don't remember my LFS ever having them so I doubt I'd be able to get my hand on any easily. I'm thinking your cardinals are probably doing well because of the size of that school (you likely have a tank thats large enough to house them happily as well haha), keeping 6 of them I think creates more opportunity for nippiness against the other fish in my aquarium however and I'd just rather not risk it if they are similar to neons hah

20. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Zebras got super wild during feeding time! They're little pigs really! Especially if it's bloodworms or tubifex worms. It's up to you in the end, but perhaps ask some more people on here, as I only ever really had Cardinals and Red eye Tetras. Oh and Glowlight Tetras which are really mellow and are NEVER nippy, never. Very docile and peaceful to the max.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice