Pea Puffers

Jenschultz22

Reaction score
are pea puffer truly freshwater? I’ve gotten mixed answers from various stores. Some have said yes some have said they need to be transitioned to brackish. Thanks for any info anyone can give!

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
are pea puffer truly freshwater? I’ve gotten mixed answers from various stores. Some have said yes some have said they need to be transitioned to brackish. Thanks for any info anyone can give!
Is this your first tank? My first is a five gallon. Those can be hard to balance, so maybe a 20 gallon with lots would be good if it is your first?

Jenschultz22

Reaction score
Is this your first tank? My first is a five gallon. Those can be hard to balance, so maybe a 20 gallon with lots would be good if it is your first?
No I have another 20 gallon freshwater but very into the puffers, but scared about balancing brackish or salt yet with the bigger puffers. Do they need to be in groups or singles?

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I have another 20 gallon freshwater but very into the puffers, but scared about balancing brackish or salt yet with the bigger puffers. Do they need to be in groups or singles?
I read they can be kept with others of their own kind, but only in ratios of 2 females to 1 male, and only with an abundance of sight breaking cover like plants, because they're quite territorial.

Jenschultz22

Reaction score
Yes, they're 100% freshwater puffers. Salt will harm them.

Pea puffers, spotted congo puffers, MBU puffers, Fahaka puffers, and red eye puffers are all examples of pure freshwater puffers.
Wow all of those! I’ll have to research

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do they need to be in groups or singles?
They can be singles or groups. If you do a group, make sure to get 3+ females for every male (or just get all females) because males will occasionally skirmish over territory and the girls.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They don’t like “schools”, but enjoy company of other pea puffers. They’re very smart fish and will bond with each other. My two pea puffer (male and female) and inseparable. They’re always within an inch of each other.

A good rule of thumb is 1 per 5 gallons. So you can get 3 to 4 in a 20 gallon. Never get more males than females though. If you do 3 or 4 fish, only get 1 male.

Mickey11235

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The problem is that they are usually sold young when you cant tell the sex. I bought three and they all ended up males. Had to take back two because they were getting beaten up on.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
True... I had that issue and had 2 males and a female. The males didn’t get along either.

FishGirly

Valued Member
Reaction score
It could be that they don’t know what pea puffers are. I know I contacted a lot of stores trying to get some pea puffers and no one knew what they were. The ones that would say yes, actually had leopard puffers which are similar but not fully freshwater.

When I finally was able to find mine, they did not even know them as pea puffers, dwarf puffers or Malabar puffers (they had them listed as oddball fish). I know in my area they aren’t common and no one knows what they are.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi
Yes, pea puffers are freshwater. Don’t add sea salt to their water, they won’t be able to breathe.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom