pea puffers weird or what

1. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i think my 2 male pea puffers are weird. all they want to do is eat my plants. i put snails shrimps flakes and pellets and they only want plants! they pecked at the snails then moved on to plants quickly. im afraid they might starve! has anyone had this problem before? they also never fight they swim together playing follow the leader most of the time. if they do peck at a snail it is together as a team. this is very strange behavior for them is it not? please help

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

My pea puffers will sometimes hang out together. Are they young? Mine were more chummy when they were little, but are more standoffish now. They never eat plants, though, so don't know about that. Have you tried any other live foods? Like mosquito larvae, live blood worms, daphnia, etc?

3. OP
    OP
    lollipopkiller

they are young. hoping to get a few females to put in there. i tryed small worms too they ate a few but got disinterested fast. im not sure what they were being fed at the store but i can call and ask in the morning probly.

4. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I keep a container with water near the corner of my yard.. away from where we normally hang out.. but within the yard so no one will dump out my free puffer food. I have it so that the mosquitoes will decide to give me their babies.. the water doesn't need to be deep, just a couple inches. I have a dedicated turkey baster for collecting and I go out with a small glass. I even change the water every so often using a net so the water doesn't get too gunky. Shady spots are better if you want to raise some mosquito larvae.

If they are being fussy, I would definitely try live food.. then if you really want to, you can slowly try switching them to frozen.

5. OP
    OP
    lollipopkiller

ok thanks for the advice :)

6. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

My dp crew only ate live food. Theyd hunt bbs; and loved live black worms. Id get the tiniest portion of black worms at nobles, and feed one to two worms per puffer a day. It cost $2, and lasted 3-4 wks as long as I changed out worm water daily as part of feeding (nothing fancy, just pour off water in worm bin and replace with fresh tank water)

7. OP
    OP
    lollipopkiller

the snails and the worms i gave them are live but they showed little if no interest in them.

8. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Mine were nice to each other and sometimes not, mainly not nice during feeding. So behavior is fine as long as it's not too aggressive. As far as feeding, they can just get picky. My current one even went on a little hunger strike awhile back. As long as their bellies don't start to sink in they'll be fine. Keep trying different things. Don't know about the plants though.