Pea Puffers Picky Eaters? Question

1. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I got 3 (dwarf) pea puffers this weekend and, I've fed them a few times, but I have never seen them eat.

When I feed them frozen bloodworms, I feel like they don't eat them. I go back an hour later to clean up the leftovers so they don't rot and cause an ammonia spike, but it looks like they didn't touch any of it. I did see a puffer pick up and move a bloodworm once, but not eat it. I wonder if the bloodworms might be too big for their tiny mouths?

I did throw 4 pond snails in the tank on day 1, and hours later all 4 of those snails were still alive and kickin'. I didn't see the first dead snail until day 3.

So, it looks like my pea puffers are picky eaters? What else can I be feeding them if they aren't intersted in frozen bloodworms or pond snails?

Or are they just not eating when I'm around? Do they not like to be watched when they eat? Will they not eat if I'm watching?

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Mine really likes daphnia and eats 5 or so very quickly. Dero worms also get eaten fast.

3. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

I will try that! Daphnia. Another reason to start a daphnia bucket outside!

I did pick up some frozen brine shrimp on my way home from work today and 2 of the 3 ate that and got round bellies. The third looks starved.

4. dartzy

dartzy Valued Member Member

I have two puffers, Frank and Ollie. Both males. I’ve had them for about a month now and for the first week or so, they wouldn’t eat. Then slowly, they started to eat snails. I wanted to get them on bloodworms as soon as I could, as snails are not easy to come by so I tried the worms. At first, they wanted nothing to do with them. Slowly over the weeks, Frank has taken to eating the worms but Ollie still just has no interest. I have tried all sorts of different frozen foods to no luck. They want live foods. I’ve started a grindal worm culture to try, as I heard that they will like them. I’ve done live brine shrimp and though they ate those, they don’t stay alive for long. I’m hoping the grindal worms work as they are easy to culture. I ordered the starter culture off of eBay.

I do tweezer feed my bloodworms to the puffers, as to not have a big mess of decaying worms in the tank. Over time, your puffers will come to know your face and will come to the glass when they see you.

Hope this helps with some ideas. They are cute little fish. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

The tank I put them in had a detritus worm bloom when it was cycling and I haven’t seen any detritus worms lately so maybe that’s why they haven’t been eating the foods I’ve been offering.