Pea Puffers Kill Dogs?

Kmullz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have an open top timeless tank. Occasionally fish jump out and get eaten by the dogs. Recently I had a pea puffer disappear and he may have gotten dumped outside with the aquarium water.

Question...will a captive breed pea puffer kill a dog if eaten? Answers from expert with knowledge of toxin accumulation in captive pea Puffers requested!

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have an open top timeless tank. Occasionally fish jump out and get eaten by the dogs. Recently I had a pea puffer disappear and he may have gotten dumped outside with the aquarium water.

Question...will a captive breed pea puffer kill a dog if eaten? Answers from expert with knowledge of toxin accumulation in captive pea Puffers requested!
Probably not. Pea puffers (and really ALL puffers) that are kept in captivity don’t produce the toxin that they do in the wild. This is because they need a certain mixture of algae and mollusks to produce the toxin, and 99% of the time your at home aquarium doesn’t provide the type of algae they need to produce it. And even if it did, it’s certainly not enough.

Just like poison dart frogs - they’re not poisonous when kept in captivity because their diet lacks what they need to make the poison.

So with all of that being said, the dog will not die because of the toxin (...because it doesn’t exist in captivity), but he could have trouble passing it like he would say a chicken bone. But I’m unsure on that...all I know for sure is that the toxin you’re worried about won’t hurt him because they don’t produce it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom