Pea puffer with rummynose?

shrimpdude

The last few weeks I've been thinking/reading about caring for a pea puffer, and I was wondering if one would get along with a small school of Rummynose tetras in a heavily planted 20 gallon high tank. Would the puffer feel too crowded/claustrophobic?

Fahn

The puffers would probably bite them to be honest. There aren't many compatible tank mates with dwarf puffers, though I heard anecdotal evidence that otocinclus do fine with them. This is just a hunch, but I would think Asian stone catfish would be fine with them. They're small, inconspicuous, have armor plating and are from the same region as peas.

david1978

If you dont have the tank yet it might work in a taller tank like a 29 gallon. Im just thinking the tetras would stay up higher away fron the puffer.

shrimpdude

david1978 said:
If you dont have the tank yet it might work in a taller tank like a 29 gallon. Im just thinking the tetras would stay up higher away fron the puffer.
The tank is already set up and about a year old, and my rummies tend to stay near the bottom, which I'm pretty sure is normal for these specific tetras.

JDWebb01

We had a Pea Puffer in a 21 gallon planted tank with Rummynose, Tetra's, Featherfins and 5 Gourami's. He was just fine with them. He was in there for snail control of which he did a poor job, so he was exiled to his own tank and replaced by a dozen assassin snails!

Fishdiction

Im a fairly new owner of 3 pea puffers and from what i read the only other fish they should be kept with is oto corys. They will nip at any other fish, shrimp and eat snails. I have read a couple cases of them being kept with a ghost shrimp but not much else. However i am not an expert lol.
Did you end up getting any?

JDWebb01

Read my above post, we had one Pea Puffer, was not a problem with other fish or Ammono shrimp. However, they are territorial, one per 20 gallons was the recommendation when we got ours.

Redshark1

What in particular is it about Ottos that render them immune to being bitten?

I would have thought any fish could have its fins bitten off.

JDWebb01

Redshark1 said:
What in particular is it about Ottos that render them immune to being bitten?

I would have thought any fish could have its fins bitten off.
Not sure I follow, we have 5 Ottos in the 21 gallon low profile tank where the Pea Puffer was (for about 4 months until we moved him) and he didn't bother anyone. At all.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom