Pea Puffer With Cories?

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hey guys! I've always wanted a pea puffer and I have a perfect tank for one. It's a very mature 20 long with lots of plants and driftwood. Sand substrate. LOADS of snails. Thing is that I have a herd of Sterbai cories in the tank. There's also a Betta but I can move him.

What do you think, is a pea puffer a good idea?
  2. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Can't speak from personal experience but everything I've read says a pea puffer would still shred the cories... I don't think there's anything wrong with trying it out if you can watch them for awhile!

3. aneesomar Initiate Member

they do not like other fish around them they will attack the cories the puffer fish (dwarf pufferfish ) is no compatible with other fish but if you really want one get a new tank
  4. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I have heard that Otos are one of the best tankmates with Pea Puffers. I don't know about Cories though.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

On second thought I can move the cories as well. That had been my plan originally but the tank just looked so nice with all the floaters and mosses and the cories scurrying about that I left it as is. The 50 I was going to move the cories to is not nearly as mature or as nicely planted and I'm not sure how they'd take to it.

In which case, IF I got pea puffers, how many could I put safely in a 20 long?
  6. DHIWZ Member Member

Ideally the fewer the better, but I'd probably say 5 or 6--1 or 2 males and then a 1:2 M:F ratio if you plant heavily and include many hiding places.

I really wouldn't recommend anything other than otocinclus as tankmates. Pea puffers are literally satan and will kill or harass anything in the tank.
  7. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would probably do 3 or 4 puffers, the fewer the better

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ok, how about this idea instead. 5 gallon mature planted tank, lots of bladder snails. There are a few shrimp in it that I expect will be eaten but I've been trying to catch them. What do you think?
  9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That would be fine for a DP.