Pea Puffer spinning

MeowWoof

Help! So I purchased 2 pea Puffers from my LFS a few days ago and noticed today that one of the puffers was spinning uncontrollably. I removed them from the tank. This is not a new tank, and I began medicating the tank as soon as I got the new babies just in case. In the quarantine tank the puffer is lying on its side, puffing up, and occasionally spinning. Anything I can do to help or just keep them comfortable? The other puffer is in the tank still, hunting bladder snails, and being cute.

Attachments

• 7CAA5FC5-BA76-4365-85ED-E84D8785A4CC.png
    7CAA5FC5-BA76-4365-85ED-E84D8785A4CC.png
    1 MB · Views: 15

Hotbacon143

It could have SWIM BLADDER.
-When eating, it may have gulped up way too much air.

What is the temperature in your tank? If its cold, cold water will SLOW down their metabolism causing them to not be able to digest their food quick enough. Make sure your water temp is at least between 72 F to 80 F. This way the intestines will have the time needed to digest the hardened food.

If I was you, I'd fast your fish for at least 2 days. If nothing happens, I'd give it one more day.

I hope your fish gets better soon!

MeowWoof

It could have SWIM BLADDER.
-When eating, it may have gulped up way too much air.

What is the temperature in your tank? If its cold, cold water will SLOW down their metabolism causing them to not be able to digest their food quick enough. Make sure your water temp is at least between 72 F to 80 F. This way the intestines will have the time needed to digest the hardened food.

If I was you, I'd fast your fish for at least 2 days. If nothing happens, I'd give it one more day.

I hope your fish gets better soon!
I’ve nursed a betta who had swim bladder back to health, but that looked different. As I’ve said, I’ve only had the puffers for 3 days. I fed them yesterday, but by that point the sick puffer was already in quarantine and did not eat. The temperature in the tank is about 78. See my profile for more info on what else is in the reach if you’re curious. This is my puffer tank. I’ve been cycling and preparing this tank for the pea Puffers for some time.

Hotbacon143

I’ve nursed a betta who had swim bladder back to health, but that looked different. As I’ve said, I’ve only had the puffers for 3 days. I fed them yesterday, but by that point the sick puffer was already in quarantine and did not eat. The temperature in the tank is about 78. See my profile for more info on what else is in the reach if you’re curious. This is my puffer tank. I’ve been cycling and preparing this tank for the pea Puffers for some time.
How big is he? And how much food did you give him? He could've eaten too much at a time and gulped up air.

MeowWoof

How big is he? And how much food did you give him? He could've eaten too much at a time and gulped up air.
He’s a pea Puffer, so pretty small. I only tried to feed him last night, after he’d already started spinning. He did not eat anything.

Hotbacon143

He’s a pea Puffer, so pretty small. I only tried to feed him last night, after he’d already started spinning. He did not eat anything.
Do you think it could be because he's in a new environment so he's on guard? I'd give him a few days to calm down.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• TheAnglerAquarist
  • Puffers
Replies
Views
emmykenzie
Replies
Views
blu3meany
  • Question
  • fieldsofhayley
  • Puffers