Pea Puffer questions, any experienced owners out there?

kimsch1005

I have a 15 gallon tank I set up specifically to house pea puffers. Ive never kept Pea puffers before, but I've done extensive research. The tank is densly planted and has been running for over a month now, and has been cycled for a week. Originally I planned on adding 3 puffers, but I was advised against it due to potentially not enough space for each to have their own territory. Im trying to set myself up for success. Im pretty confident that there is enough room for 2 puffers to establish their own territories, but I'm unsure if that ratio is a good idea or not. Is it a way different scenario having 2 females versus 2 males? Would a male and a female create too much stress for the female due to male harassment?

Ive made plenty of google searches but none of them yield exactly the info I'm looking for. If 2 is going to be a problem I still want a puffer, so i will be going with one, which brings me to my last question which is: can pea puffers get lonely? I understand they are territorial, but does this mean they do not enjoy the company of other pea puffers?

Pea puffers are absolutely adorable and Im so excited to get some/one, but I want to create the best possible environment for them.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Best Answer - View Newbie1234's answer

Newbie1234

Um I can answer your first question.Yes 15 should be enough space for two now idk about the gender though

carloz209

I can only advice you from my experience with a single puffer. They are stubborn eaters and most will only ever eat live food. They will literally starve themselves if not fed live food so be ready to buy lots of worms, snails, and other feeder fish. My puffer idk why died after a week my parameters were ideal and had lots of snails in the tank which it was hunting. i would suggest only 1 male dont put multiples males.

OP
kimsch1005

kimsch1005

carloz209 said:
I can only advice you from my experience with a single puffer. They are stubborn eaters and most will only ever eat live food. They will literally starve themselves if not fed live food so be ready to buy lots of worms, snails, and other feeder fish. My puffer idk why died after a week my parameters were ideal and had lots of snails in the tank which it was hunting. i would suggest only 1 male dont put multiples males.
Did you quarantine him when you got it?

carloz209 said:
The place where I am gonna get mine feed them frozen foods along with pest snails, so I dont think that should be an issue for me.

carloz209

kimsch1005 said:
The place where I am gonna get mine feed them frozen foods along with pest snails, so I dont think that should be an issue for me.
thats better the place i got mine had worms in there so they could fed off them. and Yes i quarantine him.
i just went yesterday to another store and was shocked and interested looking at the puffer they had like 20 just massacring a minnow he had half his body left trying to swim away. then a porcupine puffer was eating a minnow trying to swallow it whole but couldnt so he would just spit less of him out each time it was brutal but interesting.

OP
kimsch1005

kimsch1005

carloz209 said:
thats better the place i got mine had worms in there so they could fed off them. and Yes i quarantine him.
i just went yesterday to another store and was shocked and interested looking at the puffer they had like 20 just massacring a minnow he had half his body left trying to swim away. then a porcupine puffer was eating a minnow trying to swallow it whole but couldnt so he would just spit less of him out each time it was brutal but interesting.
Hmmm, kinda weird. I imagine they are not feeding them enough snails/worms?

carloz209

kimsch1005 said:
Hmmm, kinda weird. I imagine they are not feeding them enough snails/worms?
They eat other feeder fish its normal for puffer thats what makes them so interesting. I look forward to hearing about your puffer let us know how it goes and what you end up getting? Fyi they will literally eat anything that fits in their mouth and are really sensitive to water parameters for some reason i don't recall at the moment

OP
kimsch1005

kimsch1005

carloz209 said:
They eat other feeder fish its normal for puffer thats what makes them so interesting. I look forward to hearing about your puffer let us know how it goes and what you end up getting? Fyi they will literally eat anything that fits in their mouth and are really sensitive to water parameters for some reason i don't recall at the moment
I will post pictures when i get it/them, but wont be for a couple weeks! :)

carloz209

kimsch1005 said:
I will post pictures when i get it/them, but wont be for a couple weeks! :)
Aw. Look forward to it. I also started a 40 planted tank for dwarf puffer myself but then my mollies started breeding like crazy so had to postpone getting them . Otherwise they would of eaten all the babies. Good luck with the puffer

DoraCory

There's seems to be a few rules of thumb out there with regards to dwarf puffers - 1 puffer per 10 litres is one, another is 5g for the 1 puffer and 3g per puffer after that. The general consensus in the DP community is that they're a shoaling species and do better in larger groups of 6+.

I have 5 in a 15g. I started with 3 after some possibly wrong advice, but my puffers got busy and made some tank mates.

OP
kimsch1005

kimsch1005

DoraCory said:
There's seems to be a few rules of thumb out there with regards to dwarf puffers - 1 puffer per 10 litres is one, another is 5g for the 1 puffer and 3g per puffer after that. The general consensus in the DP community is that they're a shoaling species and do better in larger groups of 6+.

I have 5 in a 15g. I started with 3 after some possibly wrong advice, but my puffers got busy and made some tank mates.
Hmm, they bred?? Wow thats awesome! Any way you could share your setup? I'd love to see how densely planted it is. How many would you suggest I get in a 15 then? Any concerning aggression going on in your tank?

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
With a heavily planted 10g tank, 3 puffers is considered “acceptable,” by most keepers. Of course, sex is very important when determining how well they get along. The thing is, until the peas are adults, no one can really tell the sexes. So...when buying puffers young, nothing is set in stone in how many or how well they will get along...isn’t that exciting! I have a tank I’ve prepped for weeks and live food I’ve prepped for years! My peas are on order, and I can hardly wait to see what I get. (What I do know is, for sure, they will need deworming).

OP
kimsch1005

kimsch1005

Kathryn Crook said:
With a heavily planted 10g tank, 3 puffers is considered “acceptable,” by most keepers. Of course, sex is very important when determining how well they get along. The thing is, until the peas are adults, no one can really tell the sexes. So...when buying puffers young, nothing is set in stone in how many or how well they will get along...isn’t that exciting! I have a tank I’ve prepped for weeks and live food I’ve prepped for years! My peas are on order, and I can hardly wait to see what I get. (What I do know is, for sure, they will need deworming).
I ended up getting three tinyyyy puffers from Aqua Imports. I reached out to the business and they told me they are tank bred and shouldnt need to be medicated unless any sickness is observed, but obviously with puffers it is the best idea to just assume they have everything and treat them as a preventative measure. Im currently doing it. They are absolutely adorable!

Theyre only about 1/2" right now.

Attachments

carloz209

kimsch1005 said:
I ended up getting three tinyyyy puffers from Aqua Imports. I reached out to the business and they told me they are tank bred and shouldnt need to be medicated unless any sickness is observed, but obviously with puffers it is the best idea to just assume they have everything and treat them as a preventative measure. Im currently doing it. They are absolutely adorable!

Theyre only about 1/2" right now.
Awesome good luck with them. they look so cool

OP
kimsch1005

kimsch1005

Drasi said:
How was your experience overall with Aqua Imports?
Really awesome! They do have a minimum order amount, and overnight shipping is expensive of course, but it was really worth it. Customer service is awesome and the fish came super healthy and packaged extremely well.

DoraCory

kimsch1005 said:
Hmm, they bred?? Wow thats awesome! Any way you could share your setup? I'd love to see how densely planted it is. How many would you suggest I get in a 15 then? Any concerning aggression going on in your tank?
I'm so sorry, I missed this post somehow. Here is a photo, it's from February of this year. The tank has changed a bit but is still densely planted. I'll a get an up to date photo later today.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Lovely tank. How are the peas doing? This is the kind of growth I expect would make these little guys more passive, lol.

OP
kimsch1005

kimsch1005

Kathryn Crook said:
Lovely tank. How are the peas doing? This is the kind of growth I expect would make these little guys more passive, lol.
They're doing great. It appears as if they're already claiming their parts of the tank, however they may be too young and they each just have their own favorite spot. Right now I'm dealing with feeding; because they are so small I'm worried the frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms aren't getting eaten, however there are quite a few pest snails in the tank, so I'm assuming they are eating, just haven't actually seen it yet! I was getting worried they would starve, but then thought that was stupid because if they get hungry enough they will, plus they are natural predators! Just hoping I will get to see it soon :)

carloz209

kimsch1005 said:
They're doing great. It appears as if they're already claiming their parts of the tank, however they may be too young and they each just have their own favorite spot. Right now I'm dealing with feeding; because they are so small I'm worried the frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms aren't getting eaten, however there are quite a few pest snails in the tank, so I'm assuming they are eating, just haven't actually seen it yet! I was getting worried they would starve, but then thought that was stupid because if they get hungry enough they will, plus they are natural predators! Just hoping I will get to see it soon :)
seeing them hunting the snails is really awesome i remember i would see mine just hovering around the snails and once he had his chance would quickly finish him.

New Threads