Pea puffer care

fish47

I've decided on getting pea puffers for a 10 gallon and was wondering if anyone had any tips. I have already researched their care, I just want to know if there is more knowledge to gain.

kallililly1973

What do you know about them so far?

fish47

Well, to sum it up probably the basic care like temp, diet, water flow, tank size, temperament. That kind of stuff.

aquachris

In a 10, I'd say no more than 3 in the tank. Ideally 1 male and 2 females to help aggression. Have lots of plants and things to break line if sight and even a decoration or two they can hide in. I have mine in a 29 with 6 otto cats. That is the most likely other fish they will get along with, most others they nip.

I would recommend getting a good snail population going in that tank ahead of time. This will give them food with varying sizes of snails to eat until you can get them to eat other stuff. Mine are hard to get to eat anything else. I've only had luck with frozen mussels so far (most will eat bloodworms, mine have yet to touch them much, I think my ottos get it first). You should also get a setup just for the snails, you could do a small rubbermaid plastic container with a sponge filter, throw in some plants/etc that are easy growing and low light, and you should be good - you can feed algae wafers, or even extra veggies, dead leaves, etc. More you feed, the more you will get, so as you need more, feed more, and they will lay eggs almost immediately after.

Another good food source mine enjoy are brine shrimp (not BBS - but adult). I got a cup of them from my LFS, put it in a little 5 gallon with light a heater, airstone and saltwater. Mix in some spirulina powder each day and they keep reproducing.

Be aware that they are often caught wild and likely can have worms and other stuff. I would run then through an treatment for internal and external parasites asking with ick treatment right away. I had 5 that were captive breed and they all had ick but I didn't start treatment until I noticed it but by then it must have been too late and I lost 2.

The last thing is they can be hard to get... Right now there seems to be quite a shortage of them. But once you get them, they are a lot of fun to watch and enjoy.

fish47

aquachris said:
In a 10, I'd say no more than 3 in the tank. Ideally 1 male and 2 females to help aggression. Have lots of plants and things to break line if sight and even a decoration or two they can hide in. I have mine in a 29 with 6 otto cats. That is the most likely other fish they will get along with, most others they nip.

I would recommend getting a good snail population going in that tank ahead of time. This will give them food with varying sizes of snails to eat until you can get them to eat other stuff. Mine are hard to get to eat anything else. I've only had luck with frozen mussels so far (most will eat bloodworms, mine have yet to touch them much, I think my ottos get it first). You should also get a setup just for the snails, you could do a small rubbermaid plastic container with a sponge filter, throw in some plants/etc that are easy growing and low light, and you should be good - you can feed algae wafers, or even extra veggies, dead leaves, etc. More you feed, the more you will get, so as you need more, feed more, and they will lay eggs almost immediately after.

Another good food source mine enjoy are brine shrimp (not BBS - but adult). I got a cup of them from my LFS, put it in a little 5 gallon with light a heater, airstone and saltwater. Mix in some spirulina powder each day and they keep reproducing.

Be aware that they are often caught wild and likely can have worms and other stuff. I would run then through an treatment for internal and external parasites asking with ick treatment right away. I had 5 that were captive breed and they all had ick but I didn't start treatment until I noticed it but by then it must have been too late and I lost 2.

The last thing is they can be hard to get... Right now there seems to be quite a shortage of them. But once you get them, they are a lot of fun to watch and enjoy.
Should i treat for ick and parasites then? any recommended brands? i was planning on feeding them frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and bladder sails. if they don't eat those i could try the live brine shrimp. If i ask and they say they are captive bred and not wild caught, do I still have to treat them?

aquachris

fish47 said:
Should i treat for ick and parasites then? any recommended brands? i was planning on feeding them frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and bladder sails. if they don't eat those i could try the live brine shrimp. If i ask and they say they are captive bred and not wild caught, do I still have to treat them?
I think it's really up to you. Mine were captive as well and still had it.

Top Bottom