PayPal

kra-z-fishmumm
Is this a safe way to pay for purchases online? Is there a safer or better way?

mrsmuffin
In my opinion, PayPal is one of the safest ways that you can make online purchases.

sirdarksol
I have yet to lose my credit card information to anything other than one of the old-fashioned credit card "scanners" (the kind that makes a carbon copy of the card). I've purchased hundreds of things from eBay, most of them going through PayPal.

Angela_96
I have never had issues w/ paypal. In fact paypal has caught people trying to get into my account and notified me of the issue and fixed it themselves they are very good to use. I woud def recommend paypal.

COBettaCouple
I think it's one of the safest ways that you can go with for paying online person to person.

capekate
I also agree with everyone above. I have been using PayPal for a looong time, as a seller and buyer on Ebay and never have had any problems with them/card. they also offer protection in case of fraud as well. Like with everything.. there is always the possibility of problems, but I have not encountered any yet.

~ kate

hssea
i've also used paypal through ebay with no problems

Allie
I just set up a pay pal account 5 minutes ago. I heard it is the safest way to pay on line.

Firecracker
I refuse to use PayPal. I've had several friends who had issues with them, and a small one myself--they reversed a payment I'd received with no information. The buyer hadn't contacted me with any problems with the item, nor did they return it. I simply couldn't get the money and customer service responded only with form letters straight from the FAQ pages. It was only about $15 but I was highly annoyed, and refuse to give them my money again.

Nags1965
I have never used pay pal but yet I keep getting e mails from them saying I need to update my account info. I also got an e mail from pay pal saying I needed to confirm the purchase of a 500.00 laptop that I bought though ebay. Not only do I not have a pay pal account I have never bought or sold anything via ebay. I deleted both e mails and never responded so I don't know what ever happened to the laptop.

COBettaCouple
There are a lot of fake paypal emails, phishing for info.

capekate
HI Nags1965
CoBettaCouple is right. Those emails you get from either paypal or ebay asking for updated information are fraudulent scams. But those are scams that can really hurt you. Especially if you do have an account with either places. What they do is get you to resubmit your bank account information, and then they use your card to steal your money. Its a shame as a lot of folks do not realize this til its too late. Its really awful..
What these two sites do is tell folks to never respond to an email, that they do not ask for personal informtion in an email, and if ever need be, to log into the site itself and do not do so through the email. There is also a place to report such scams and they do try to catch the culprits, but they change servers and ISPs so fast that it is hard to catch them.
You did the right thing in deleting them right away and not respond!

Nags1965
Capekate, what I wonder is how did the folks that sent the e mail get my name? I would assume they stalk the site (ebay paypal) for names of people using the services and send them e mails. With my never having an account with either how did they get my e mail address?

You are of course right about one thing.. never give out info from a email asking for it and If you have to ask yourself "hmmm, is this legit" then chances are it isn't and one should delet pronto!

capekate
Capekate, what I wonder is how did the folks that sent the e mail get my name? I would assume they stalk the site (ebay paypal) for names of people using the services and send them e mails. With my never having an account with either how did they get my e mail address?

You are of course right about one thing.. never give out info from a email asking for it and If you have to ask yourself "hmmm, is this legit" then chances are it isn't and one should delet pronto!
More than likely its just random spam emailings.. hoping that someone will be a member of either sites.

sirdarksol
Paypal and eBay both actually request that you forward phishing scams on to them. These scams are extremely illegal, and would be a drain on both sites if they proliferated too much (people would associate Paypal and eBay with getting ripped off. Not a good business ), so they do a lot to try to catch these people. Obviously it's not working 100%, but people get caught sometimes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jsigmo
Replies
Views
sirdarksol
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views