Patsy is acting strange

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a female platy that just gave birth to fry.  Before she gave birth, she took to hiding behind one of the plants.  I thought that once she gave birth, she would come out of hiding.  She does come out once in a while, and eats, but then goes back into hiding.  It has been a few days.  I did see my male platy chase her when she came out one time.  Is she okay?  Why is he chasing her?  There are two more females and only the one male.  They are in a heated and cycled 10 gallon tank, with 3 otos. ???

CherryRose

Callum The Cat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My platys were doing the same thing and the bigger female was in hiding and the next morning I woke up and she was dead :'( I still don't no what happened :'( ;D Callum!

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
It may just be that the one that gave birth needs time to rest & recover from having babies, and doesn't need the male harassing her till she gets her strength back. I hope she's recovered by now?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Terry said:
It may just be that the one that gave birth needs time to rest & recover from having babies, and doesn't need the male harassing her till she gets her strength back. I hope she's recovered by now?
Yea, that's what I've read too - some Platy mamas just need time to get over the stress of dropping all those little fry and/or lose their appetite for a little while. Our little mama Daisy is the exception to that rule - she'll drop them & just keep on like nothing happened, but she's a fairly large twin goldbar & queen of the platy tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom