Patio Water Fountain With Fish??

Triston Wasmund
The patio in our gated area to our front door has a water fountain type thing. I tried measuring it and it is about 62 inches high, a little more than 3 feet long ( the water holding length area) and the water is about 14 inches deep. My dad says he doesn't know how many gallons it is. It hasn't been used in a couple of years and has just been sitting there with water inside of it and algae that needs some removing, and mosquito larvae is in it right now lol. So I was wondering if I cleaned it out, drained it, and everything and replaced it with dechlorinated water, could I add a couple of feeder gold fish or something too it? It has the water flow so maybe that could act as a filter, as it has 3 stages it falls from with a light at the bottom. Its a pretty big water basin (is that what you call it) and I'm guessing it can hold more than 20 gallon, probably 40,. Its not final yet as I have to convince my mom and dad too let me do it, but I just need to know if it can be done. I will add a picture that kind of looks like it since I don't have my phone but don't look at the middle just look at the structure as the way the water falls and stuff is different(it is basically the same structure but mine is bigger, and has 3 water fall bowls going vertical. It won't have a heater, at least not until winter time, so.. Can I do it? PLEASE ask any questions!!

Preston Landolt
Gold fish get quite large, a lot larger than you’d think.( like some can get up to 2 ft) so a 40 gallon for several goldfish is push the limit. But not impossible to have maybe 2 large ones in it. I would say like 6 to 10 1 inch gold fish could last care free for about 6 months before ammonia and other factors start to set in. With that being said, good filtration is important. I would first check the seals on it and if you get fish, make sure they can’t jump out. I’m in no way an expert on fountains or goldfish, but try thinking and doing a little research on what other fish could last in colder temperatures and are smaller. I think it would be a very cool aquarium

Triston Wasmund
Gold fish get quite large, a lot larger than you’d think.( like some can get up to 2 ft) so a 40 gallon for several goldfish is push the limit. But not impossible to have maybe 2 large ones in it. I would say like 6 to 10 1 inch gold fish could last care free for about 6 months before ammonia and other factors start to set in. With that being said, good filtration is important. I would first check the seals on it and if you get fish, make sure they can’t jump out. I’m in no way an expert on fountains or goldfish, but try thinking and doing a little research on what other fish could last in colder temperatures and are smaller. I think it would be a very cool aquarium
Thanks for the input, and yeah the only fish I could think of that could survive in something like that would be goldfish but I will definitely see if there is other fish. As far as them jumping out, I'm not too worried about it. Now with filtration, what do I do about that? I can't buy a filter because I don't have that kind of money.. Maybe I could put activated carbon, like the rocks you buy in a container, in one of the water fall things that are above the large pool of water. I don't know, but I am open to suggestions.

Preston Landolt
Well, the activated carbon in the second level of the water fall is actually a really good idea! For a potentially cheaper route, lava rock is a great substitute and would look more normal

Triston Wasmund
Well, the activated carbon in the second level of the water fall is actually a really good idea! For a potentially cheaper route, lava rock is a great substitute and would look more normal
I have a tiny piece of lava rock in my 10 gallon, and I have a stone size piece of lava rock, about the size of the circular part of a baseball cap, just laying around. I would probably add plants inside the thing as well. Oh I so hope my parents will let me do it. It hasn't been turned on in a couple years, I guess because my dad got lazy with maintaining it and it only had water in it LOL.

KimberlyG
I think it could be doable. We would have to see a picture. Goldfish may not be possible but other coolwater fish might be okay. You would need water lettuce and/or water hyacinth to act as a filter. A school of 20 plus gold cloud mountain minnows could be cool. It all depends on the water volume and footprint of the basin.

Triston Wasmund
I think it could be doable. We would have to see a picture. Goldfish may not be possible but other coolwater fish might be okay. You would need water lettuce and/or water hyacinth to act as a filter. A school of 20 plus gold cloud mountain minnows could be cool. It all depends on the water volume and footprint of the basin.
I don't have my phone, but it the water basin kind of looks like the one in the picture. I am sure it is over 20 gallons no doubt. It is a half circle 3 foot in length, and the water is 14 inches deep, but I would keep it at about 11 inches. And yeah I am definitely open to suggestions for fish, but they just need to be pretty hardy for this type of setup. Please ask any more questions. And would other aquatic floating plants work instead??

KimberlyG
Those are the best. The hyacinth will actually bloom this very pretty purple flower. You can increase blooming by adding cuttlebone. I'm getting off track...outdoor ponds are different than tanks. You will have plenty of flow and flow is what is needed. My ponds don't run charcoal filters. My plants filter the water. You will see what is collected on the long, almost bottle brush, roots. Container ponds are similar.

KakeHugs
I would get 2-3 fancy goldfish and not feeder goldfish as the rule of thumb is 20 gallon for the first fancy goldfish +10g for anymore. The goldfish are fine for the winter, just do some research on goldfish living outside for winter. You'll have to feed them specially to prepare them for the colder weather and I would get a heater of de-icer considering it's not as deep as a pond.

Triston Wasmund
I would get 2-3 fancy goldfish and not feeder goldfish as the rule of thumb is 20 gallon for the first fancy goldfish +10g for anymore. The goldfish are fine for the winter, just do some research on goldfish living outside for winter. You'll have to feed them specially to prepare them for the colder weather and I would get a heater of de-icer considering it's not as deep as a pond.
Thank you very much for the input! The only reason I said feeder goldfish is because they are the cheapest, lol only 15 cents each at Petco and it looks like they are hardy. Why do you suppose I shouldn't use them? Do they grow big or anything? I am definitely open to other suggestions for fish, but just not anything over 4$ each, as I am on a low budget for these guys.

KimberlyG
Gold clouds are cheaper than that but I did get concerned when I opened the picture and saw what you said was similar to what you were talking about. What I mentioned before would not work in that. I'm not sure any fish would.

LA58
Please remember sunlight can heat the fountain significantly. I tried a type of fountain using an old baritone as the upright so the water spilled down into a huge deep flower pot. Heat, fish food and poop are perfect for algae growth! The goldfish was fine, but I did have to bring it in for winter. Please check the water temperature at various times of day for a week before choosing any fish. There are fish that love mosquito larva called gambusia. They look like plain guppies and need little care other than dechlorinator. Talk with the person of the house that pays the bills first please!! Hope you get to have a bit of fun and learn.

Triston Wasmund
Gold clouds are cheaper than that but I did get concerned when I opened the picture and saw what you said was similar to what you were talking about. What I mentioned before would not work in that. I'm not sure any fish would.
And why not?

KimberlyG
And why not?
I just don't think it is a large enough water source for what I was describing...surface area or footprint. That would have to be maintained like an indoor fishtank.

Triston Wasmund
Please remember sunlight can heat the fountain significantly. I tried a type of fountain using an old baritone as the upright so the water spilled down into a huge deep flower pot. Heat, fish food and poop are perfect for algae growth! The goldfish was fine, but I did have to bring it in for winter. Please check the water temperature at various times of day for a week before choosing any fish. There are fish that love mosquito larva called gambusia. They look like plain guppies and need little care other than dechlorinator. Talk with the person of the house that pays the bills first please!! Hope you get to have a bit of fun and learn.
Thanks for the input, and I will see what type of fish Petco has as that's what is close to me. I have a thermometer for my 10 gallon that I can use to monitor temperature as well, and checking temp would come in handy and limit what fish I can have. As far as talkin to the person that pays the bills, being my parents, my dad is thinking about it. Its not like its going to run up a water bill or something, as it was on for some years but turned off now because my dad doesn't want to have to clean it and everything so basically its just sitting there with water in it, having a pointless life. And I am the one who pays for everything when it comes to my hobby. That's why I need cheap fish and a cheap method of doing this

I just don't think it is a large enough water source for what I was describing...surface area or footprint. That would have to be maintained like an indoor fishtank.
Well its not like a pond or anything. I could use other plants though correct? I have tons of dollar weed that I can use as a floating plant, even have some in my 10 gal. I was just saying, it will have plenty of flow, and in order to filter I could just use plants. I am thinking about putting activated carbon or something in one of the water flows, that's a great idea right?

Nataku
You could try a temperate/sub-tropical fish in there like American flagish. They don't get huge (max is about 2.5 maybe 3 inches) and will happily gobble up any mosquito larvae that try to live in there. They are tolerant of a wide range of temps, from uppers 80s down through about 55. So you would need to bring them in or heat them in winter but at least you aren't as likely to cook them in summer as you are gold fish - a lot of people forget you have to watch the upper and lower ends of a temp range. Goldfish don't do warm water well for long.

KakeHugs
Thank you very much for the input! The only reason I said feeder goldfish is because they are the cheapest, lol only 15 cents each at Petco and it looks like they are hardy. Why do you suppose I shouldn't use them? Do they grow big or anything? I am definitely open to other suggestions for fish, but just not anything over 4$ each, as I am on a low budget for these guys.

Common goldfish get too big. You can get fancy goldfish for around $4 from petco too.

Triston Wasmund
You could try a temperate/sub-tropical fish in there like American flagish. They don't get huge (max is about 2.5 maybe 3 inches) and will happily gobble up any mosquito larvae that try to live in there. They are tolerant of a wide range of temps, from uppers 80s down through about 55. So you would need to bring them in or heat them in winter but at least you aren't as likely to cook them in summer as you are gold fish - a lot of people forget you have to watch the upper and lower ends of a temp range. Goldfish don't do warm water well for long.
Thank you very much for the suggestion! Unfortunately I don't think Petco has those, I can really only get fish from Petco because that's what is closest ( don't do online because its too complicated). I will definitely keep it in mind, and as a last resort I can ask my LFS, also close, if they could order some. The reason I said goldfish because they seem like cheap, cool fish to keep and they look pretty hardy, I mean people even had them living in bowls back then lol. If you can think of any other cheap ( less than 4$) fish that are hardy as well, let me know! Thanks again for responding.

Common goldfish get too big. You can get fancy goldfish for around $4 from petco too.
Thanks! Will keep this in mind. Any other fish come to mind when you think of something cheap and hardy as well, suitable for my living conditions?

Crafty Cichlid
American Flag fish are pretty sweet lookin' too, Florida natives if I'm not mistaken, so similar temperature extremes, but smaller bodies of water will be more vulnerable to big shifts in temperature. From what I've read on them though, it's kinda like God intelligently designed them to go in ponds and fountains. They like squito larvae, and will chew on algae too.

White cloud/gold mountain minnow would work too. Hardy critters, and CHEAP! Don't matter if some jump out, except that it's sad that a living thing in your care got dead.

Triston Wasmund
American Flag fish are pretty sweet lookin' too, Florida natives if I'm not mistaken, so similar temperature extremes, but smaller bodies of water will be more vulnerable to big shifts in temperature. From what I've read on them though, it's kinda like God intelligently designed them to go in ponds and fountains. They like squito larvae, and will chew on algae too.

White cloud/gold mountain minnow would work too. Hardy critters, and CHEAP! Don't matter if some jump out, except that it's sad that a living thing in your care got dead.
Thanks for the suggestion!! If I can't find anything else then I will have to save some money for these guys. When I say I am on a budget, lol I am really on a budget. Since I pay for everything, and I am only 15 so don't have an actual job ( I work with my dad, but he wants me to save that money for a car), I only am able to use gift money really. I only have like 7$ right now lol. Now I'm sure if I was in an emergency and needed to buy something my dad would help me get it but... So if I don't find another fish, I will just have to wait and save up for white clouds. What about neon tetras??? I could probably fit like 15 in there, and they are only $1.59 at Petco.. Would they work out?

Crafty Cichlid
No. They need consistently warm water. White clouds/Gold white clouds are usually about the same price though.

Triston Wasmund
No. They need consistently warm water. White clouds/Gold white clouds are usually about the same price though.
Aww. Well it says on the Petco website that they are charging $3 and some cents each I believe. And the only other fish place around me is a privately owned fish store so usually their prices are average or expensive I think.

Crafty Cichlid
Check your LFS, mine had them for $1ea, or $10 for a dozen.

Triston Wasmund
Well, I will check. But right after I get my fountain ready and everything. I need to clean and drain it and redrain it. Then I can decorate. I will be adding plants and stuff. BUT hopefully my dad says yes to this idea in the first place. He should, but I don't know what my mom will say. She shouldn't really care though I hope, not like she has a thing with the fountain or something lol.

OMG I just thought about this! GUPPIES!! I have about 25 guppy fry in a 2 gallon tank (yes, I know but that's the only other tank I have) and they are starting to grow and gain color. I could put them in the founain!! They are very hardy species, and can deal with ph swings usually as well as temperature ranges outside. Now I will have to bring them inside in the winter but other than that I should be good! I seriously think this is going to work out with these guys. And if they start to die from some unkown cause I will bring them back in but I'm sure that won't happen. They can survive usually without a heater, or fiter (some guppy breeders have them in tubs outside with no filter or heater) so it seems like my setup is just a tad better lol. Let me know what you think, because eventually I was going to have to get rid of the grown up fry anyway as I have no place to put them. Thanks!

If everything works out, for fish I will be putting most of my guppy fry (about 25) in the fountain. They are in a 2 gallon right now, which is the only other tank besides my 10 gal I have. So I think it will be best to move most of them to the fountain so they can grow out better. What do you think?

KimberlyG
If everything works out, for fish I will be putting most of my guppy fry (about 25) in the fountain. They are in a 2 gallon right now, which is the only other tank besides my 10 gal I have. So I think it will be best to move most of them to the fountain so they can grow out better. What do you think?
That might work.

KakeHugs
Thank you very much for the suggestion! Unfortunately I don't think Petco has those, I can really only get fish from Petco because that's what is closest ( don't do online because its too complicated). I will definitely keep it in mind, and as a last resort I can ask my LFS, also close, if they could order some. The reason I said goldfish because they seem like cheap, cool fish to keep and they look pretty hardy, I mean people even had them living in bowls back then lol. If you can think of any other cheap ( less than 4$) fish that are hardy as well, let me know! Thanks again for responding.

Thanks! Will keep this in mind. Any other fish come to mind when you think of something cheap and hardy as well, suitable for my living conditions?

I can't think of many fish that would last the winter but if you can keep the water warm I'm sure guppies and such would be fine

Triston Wasmund
I can't think of many fish that would last the winter but if you can keep the water warm I'm sure guppies and such would be fine
Yeah, well its almost spring time so I'm not worried. I can just bring them inside somehow someway in winter. My dad is basically in to the idea!! The only problem I have is the crevices and stuff the fountain has. There is a compartment at the bottom you can take out, and it just hides the pump, while still making it look like the compartment isn't there. Worried the fry might go into it, but they are usually at the top of the water so I don't know. NEXT.. I have to find out where and how the water is pumped and if it is closed off, or how strong the current being sucked into the pump is. I don't want my fry to get sucked in. Will have to see how these things work. I HAVE A QUESTION.. If I get that activated carbon rocks ( comes in a container and is basically the carbon rocks without cartridge) do you think I could lay it at the bottom of one of the little half bowls ( there is 2, one at the top, this is where the water pumps up to, then the water overflows the bowl thing and falls into the bigger half bowl thing in the middle and that overflows and pours into the actual water body) if I could put some rocks in the bowl thing, it would work as a cleaner? I am saying like, lay it down as if it was a substrate, and the bowl thing is not that big but big enough to put that carbon in.. Do you get what I mean? KimberlyG Crafty Cichlid Preston Landolt LA58 sorry for tagging you guys but could this work. ASK NEEDED QUESTIONS

KakeHugs
Yeah, well its almost spring time so I'm not worried. I can just bring them inside somehow someway in winter. My dad is basically in to the idea!! The only problem I have is the crevices and stuff the fountain has. There is a compartment at the bottom you can take out, and it just hides the pump, while still making it look like the compartment isn't there. Worried the fry might go into it, but they are usually at the top of the water so I don't know. NEXT.. I have to find out where and how the water is pumped and if it is closed off, or how strong the current being sucked into the pump is. I don't want my fry to get sucked in. Will have to see how these things work. I HAVE A QUESTION.. If I get that activated carbon rocks ( comes in a container and is basically the carbon rocks without cartridge) do you think I could lay it at the bottom of one of the little half bowls ( there is 2, one at the top, this is where the water pumps up to, then the water overflows the bowl thing and falls into the bigger half bowl thing in the middle and that overflows and pours into the actual water body) if I could put some rocks in the bowl thing, it would work as a cleaner? I am saying like, lay it down as if it was a substrate, and the bowl thing is not that big but big enough to put that carbon in.. Do you get what I mean? KimberlyG Crafty Cichlid Preston Landolt LA58 sorry for tagging you guys but could this work. ASK NEEDED QUESTIONS

I kinda get what you mean but I also have a hard time understanding stuff that is written out so when you get photo's that'll help me understand but the other user might be able to help more.
As long as there's water flow on the rocks they should work I believe? I know with saltwater, as long as you have a pump on the rocks, they work as the filter but I'm not sure if that's the same.

Triston Wasmund
I kinda get what you mean but I also have a hard time understanding stuff that is written out so when you get photo's that'll help me understand but the other user might be able to help more.
As long as there's water flow on the rocks they should work I believe? I know with saltwater, as long as you have a pump on the rocks, they work as the filter but I'm not sure if that's the same.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I think I can get a pic tomorrow. But, I finally put the guys in the fountain. There is about 15, and I tried to cover any holes for the pump to pull water through with a couple of plants, but I will probably put more in. I have a bunch of live plants (dollar weed, can be grown in water). The only thing I look forward to fixing is the flow/ water splash from the bowl but I will figure that out. Water is about 72 degrees so I'm not too worried about that. Also, how long can fish go without water splashing on the water to create oxygen? I have a timer, and I think I will put 3- 30 minute breaks to an hour breaks throughout the day, for the water too turn off. This way the fry can have a little calm down period where the water isn't splashing. OH YEAH, I believe the fountain is 20 gallons.

Crafty Cichlid
Triston Wasmund thanks for the tag.

Do you have an old net somewhere? I'm thinking:
  1. get some carbon
  2. put it in the net
  3. put the net over the intake for the pump.
Most pumps have a grille to keep larger flotsam out, like leaves, and adult guppies. It won't catch the babies though.

There are many options for carbon, to carbon mesh, to loose carbon, even packets. It should filter out most of the toxins if you have it in there; my understanding of the process is that the carbon attracts unwanted elements/compounds and entraps them. You'll NEED to have a way to remove the carbon periodically though. It takes a while, but eventually the carbon will become "full" and may begin to leech toxins back into the water, or at best just stop absorbing. Be cautious though, if the carbon chunks are too small, the pump may ingest them, and slowly (maybe quickly) reduce its effectiveness.

I think this could work. By winter, add a heater.

Stopping flow is probably unnecessary. The fry will find slower water in the basin and hang out there, and when/if they can't they'll get exercise separating the weak from the strong.

Triston Wasmund
Well, this will have to wait, lol. The weather down here just got cold again, about low 50's to 40. I just checked the water the other day and it was like 60 or below! I couldnt find any guppies around, so I took everything out and I guess they got into that compartment. I was surprised they hadn't got sucked in, 1 did and was stuck inside the intake part. Then there were like 7 I found dead! I couldnt tell if it was from the cold or not, but I think so. Wierd because some guppies were trying to swim but barely could and I guess were stiff but alive, and then others were swimming normally. I got worried so I took them out and put them back in with the parents. She had more fry the other day ( about 40) so I had to put those guys in a 2 gallon as that's all I have. I will figure out something for them, perhaps put some in with the female to get eaten, weak vs strong ones and to decrease numbers. BUT I will have to leave the month old fry ( about 13 left I think) in the 10 gal with the parents, I guess until they get bigger or it warms up outside. I don't know lol. I can't buy a heater, so I already thought of that. My 50 watt heater doesn't do anything with that fountain.

Crafty Cichlid
Sounds like someone needs a job to support his habit! haha

Triston Wasmund
Sounds like someone needs a job to support his habit! haha

Yeah lol. I can get a job in a month, that's when I turn 16 lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Culprit
Replies
Views
uncle fishy
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views