Patio Pond Upgrade, Again 150 Gallon Tank | Page 2

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by Skavatar, Apr 8, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

4 weeks after using Pond Matrix 0,0,0 (in a SunSun 304B canister) :)
    it has been 2 weeks since my last 50% water change on this 150G stock tank patio pond. before the Pond Matrix it would be 10-20ppm after 1 week.

the phosphate test (Pond Master Test Kit) was murky/cloudy but the picture looks even worse, but its at .25ppm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

zip tied two pieces of styrofoam to a basket.

[​IMG]

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Looks great. If your not interested in substrate. You could still probably do a lily with some soil in a terra-cotta pot possibly

4. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Do you feed your comets or let nature do it? Why no submerged plants? I don't know about Houston, but on the East Coast the banana plant is native and requires no potting. Also mermaid weed and carolina fanwort are doing well with no substrate.

5. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

i just don't want to bother with substrate. i currently have some new plants in qt.

on my work days i only feed them once in the afternoon when i get home from work. on my off days i feed them in the morning and evening. there's a good amount of algae that they eat, i notice their poop is green compared to my aquarium goldfish which have dark brown poop.

i'm a bit worried about the plants now that the Pond Matrix is working so well.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

while i was out finding plants back in April, there were some dried up lotus seed pods, i picked 3 seeds and just threw them into the stock tank. a few days ago i noticed a round ball floating with 2-3 long stems and thought it was one of the floating plants growing a root bulb. today i noticed one of the stems has a round leaf on the end, and i remembered the lotus seeds. wow!

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

biweekly water change and monthly cleaning of the canister.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

already did the weekly water changes on my 75g and 29g tanks inside, and the 20g tub, and used the old water to water the plants, saving the pond water for the next watering.

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

9. Paper Spiders

Paper SpidersValued MemberMember

Your lotus will not survive long term without a sizeable pot with a very rich substrate. The pot should be wider than tall, but quite large. They are heavy feeders.

10. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

i planted it in another container but seems to have died. Lotus Seed Sprouted

11. OP
    OP
    Skavatar

moved the short tail feeder comets (commons?) into the pond.

[​IMG]