Patio Pond Northern Florida

crazyshot97

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a move to northeastern Florida this fall. I have been tubbing in the summer here up north for a while with white clouds, and I love it. I figured since its quite a bit warmer down there, I might be able to get away with doing some species year round.

I'll be in an apartment, so my likely setup will be a 100-150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank on a balcony/patio. Anyone have any cool ideas for a fish that would be alright year round in a setup like that? Climate is pretty reasonable, it seldom gets below 50 degrees in the winter, though it can get pretty hot in the summer. In the case of a particularly cold day I would probably use a heater and cover to keep the temp up, again it seldom gets that cold.

Any ideas are welcome!

JustAFishServant

110-150g tub? Well, if you were to ask me, I'd do two or three slim-bodied Goldfish breeds such as Hibuna, Comet, Shubunkin, and Wakin (I know I forgot a breed but I can't remember who that is right now), or maybe even Koimets! If you're interested in Goldfish but don't want the insane bio-load or a big, messy fish, try smaller breeds like Ranchu, Celestial, Bubble-Eye, Pompom, Tamasaba, Butterfly, and many others! If your pond stays warm, maybe try a pair/trio of Oscar Cichlids or an Arowana! I do understand that not everyone is interested in huge monster fish, however. If your interest is small tropical fish, your possibilities are endless! Maybe of you're more into a lightly stocked, swamp-like tub, try a group of Mosquitofish or Medaka Ricefish! Fill the tank up with floating plants, hornwort...whatever you want!

We would very much appreciate if you were to update us on your progress! Who knows, maybe someone will want to do something similar

crazyshot97

JustAFishServant said:
110-150g tub? Well, if you were to ask me, I'd do two or three slim-bodied Goldfish breeds such as Hibuna, Comet, Shubunkin, and Wakin (I know I forgot a breed but I can't remember who that is right now), or maybe even Koimets! If you're interested in Goldfish but don't want the insane bio-load or a big, messy fish, try smaller breeds like Ranchu, Celestial, Bubble-Eye, Pompom, Tamasaba, Butterfly, and many others! If your pond stays warm, maybe try a pair/trio of Oscar Cichlids or an Arowana! I do understand that not everyone is interested in huge monster fish, however. If your interest is small tropical fish, your possibilities are endless! Maybe of you're more into a lightly stocked, swamp-like tub, try a group of Mosquitofish or Medaka Ricefish! Fill the tank up with floating plants, hornwort...whatever you want!

We would very much appreciate if you were to update us on your progress! Who knows, maybe someone will want to do something similar
Interesting ideas. I did always want a nice small ranchu pond, but I couldn’t with the heavy freezes we get up here. I would do them, but I plan to really load the pond with plants, and I feel like they might not be great with delicate plants. Rice fish is a good idea, wish I could find some cool colors on those, Asia has some awesome strains.

whatever I decide on I’ll for sure update the forum

JustAFishServant

Ah, I see! Well, since Ranchus are a more delicate breed of Goldie, they're usually much less likely to snack on plants. If you'd like, check out my profile, since I actually have a 50g heavily-planted, dirted Goldie tank listed on my "About" section.

Edit: I also listed the plants in the tank, which I've had success with

crazyshot97

JustAFishServant said:
Ah, I see! Well, since Ranchus are a more delicate breed of Goldie, they're usually much less likely to snack on plants. If you'd like, check out my profile, since I actually have a 50g heavily-planted, dirted Goldie tank listed on my "About" section.

Edit: I also listed the plants in the tank, which I've had success with
Oh awesome! I’m gonna check it out as soon as i’m home from work

JustAFishServant

crazyshot97 said:
Oh awesome! I’m gonna check it out as soon as i’m home from work
Sure thing! I hope you get some inspiration from the plants! If they've been working for my crazy creatures, I'm sure they'll be just fine for you

Latest threads

Top Bottom