Patio pond help-need advice on stocking and materials.

Natalie666

So before long, the fish-keeping bug finally bit my parents…

we are setting up a patio pond out back to add a nice feature and be able to get experience raising lilies and other aquatic plants.
I’ve been looking at two Rubbermaid stock tanks (150 and 110g) that are sold at tractor supply and seem to have decent reviews. The plan is to surround the stock tank with bricks and potted plants.

Issue 1: I am intimidated by all the filters and pumps and stuff, I’ve only had experience with HOBs.
Issue 2: I’ve never cycled a pond before and have no idea where to start there.
issue 3: the pond fish of choice seems to be a gang of fancies(id guess 2-5?) or a pair of common goldies-but here in NC the weather can be unpredictable sometimes. I’ve also heard mixed reviews on overwintering fancies outside. Are there any other personable fish that are hardy and good with plants? And are there any heaters/equipment that can regulate hot/cold temperatures in a pond?
all in all it’s going to be a fun project but also one I don’t want to just jump into without getting some advice on where to start first. Thanks!

Flyfisha

Hey Natalie666 as you are still in the planning stage check out rice fish.Rice fish are cold water fish in general not needing a heater. Often kept in much smaller containers with only plants as a filter. Perhaps a more achievable goal?

Just one of many videos on the subject.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

Hey Natalie666 as you are still in the planning stage check out rice fish.Rice fish are cold water fish in general not needing a heater. Often kept in much smaller containers with only plants as a filter. Perhaps a more achievable goal?

link soon
I’ve been eyeing medaka rice fish for a while-they are hard to come by(only legit ones I’ve seen for sale are on aquatic arts and they are all sold out). The general idea my parents and I had were goldfish of some sort since they are easier to come around. Thanks for the idea!

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I currently have no goldfish, but don’t they eat plants?

Upvote 0

Natalie666

I currently have no goldfish, but don’t they eat plants?
I’ve seen them being kept with typical pond plants with little issues-I guess somebody with experience on this would have to tell me if I’m wrong on that. Floating plants also provide shade and a hiding area from predators so I’ve always seen them as a must in outdoor ponds. I’m currently researching some nice, hardy plants as of now that would do well in my zone.

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

From experience: You’re overthinking it.

Yes, filtration can be daunting, but it’s just physics. Water in, water passes through a filtration media, water out.

Bog Gravel Filtration: Water Cleaned by Mother Nature - POND Trade Magazine

This gives a good overview of a bog filter. It’s basically just a wetland of slow moving water. To really get it efficient a gravity based system would do it, but not be pretty ;)

A50289DD-E360-4320-A72A-F770346F3D22.jpeg
My second version after I decided the first was too small.

Edit: As for fish. I have one Shubunkin, the rest are feeder goldfish that I assumed would die and be replaced with more Shubunkins. Instead I ended up giving half to a friend to start her pond. The fanciest I’d go would be Shubunkins, though one of my feeders ended up with a fan tail and is probably the fattest thing in there lol

Upvote 0

Natalie666

From experience: You’re overthinking it.

Yes, filtration can be daunting, but it’s just physics. Water in, water passes through a filtration media, water out.

Bog Gravel Filtration: Water Cleaned by Mother Nature - POND Trade Magazine

This gives a good overview of a bog filter. It’s basically just a wetland of slow moving water. To really get it efficient a gravity based system would do it, but not be pretty ;)

A50289DD-E360-4320-A72A-F770346F3D22.jpeg
My second version after I decided the first was too small.

Edit: As for fish. I have one Shubunkin, the rest are feeder goldfish that I assumed would die and be replaced with more Shubunkins. Instead I ended up giving half to a friend to start her pond. The fanciest I’d go would be Shubunkins, though one of my feeders ended up with a fan tail and is probably the fattest thing in there lol
thank you so much. And thank you for the overview on the bog filters-your pond looks very nice:) so I’m guessing I cycle it like any other fish tank then? any other input on tips of how to setup/other fauna species that are hardy?

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

thank you so much. And thank you for the overview on the bog filters-your pond looks very nice:) so I’m guessing I cycle it like any other fish tank then? any other input on tips of how to setup/other fauna species that are hardy?
Well, when I started our pond I didn’t cycle at all. Rocks, water lillies, water hyacinth and a dozen feeder goldfish with the assumption half would die in the first year. No filter at all, just a pump circulating water through an amphora. In retrospect, yeah, should have cycled. But, all the fish are still alive and as of this year, spawning. Goldfish can take a lot, fortunately. I also have good water, being on a spring fed well, so I’m sure that saved me.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

Well, when I started our pond I didn’t cycle at all. Rocks, water lillies, water hyacinth and a dozen feeder goldfish with the assumption half would die in the first year. No filter at all, just a pump circulating water through an amphora. In retrospect, yeah, should have cycled. But, all the fish are still alive and as of this year, spawning. Goldfish can take a lot, fortunately. I also have good water, being on a spring fed well, so I’m sure that saved me.
Nice! I’ve been looking at water hyacinth since that seems to be pretty common and I’ve heard it can go through a lot and still flower and thrive.

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

Nice! I’ve been looking at water hyacinth since that seems to be pretty common and I’ve heard it can go through a lot and still flower and thrive.
It didn’t overwinter here (Seattle) but it’s cheap enough I don’t bother overwintering any of it indoors. Might do it this year though as I have a second small pond to grow out elodea etc… that I’m keeping Endlers in.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

It didn’t overwinter here (Seattle) but it’s cheap enough I don’t bother overwintering any of it indoors. Might do it this year though as I have a second small pond to grow out elodea etc… that I’m keeping Endlers in.
Yea I’ve seen ppl use it in sumps and rain barrels a lot too. Well thanks for all the help, if anyone has other tips or ideas on plants/fish/overwintering or temperature stability advice please let me know I’d love to hear it:)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
15 Gallon Tank Stocking advice needed
Replies
Views
Madeline Peterson
Replies
Views
Soxrobin
Replies
Views