Patchy silver dollars

TWiG87

Possibly...? Depending on the angle.. do you have a picture?

Alien

TWiG87 said:
Possibly...? Depending on the angle.. do you have a picture?
Yeah they only look patchy at a curtain angle

TWiG87

He definitely looks a little rough. Its been years since I had mine, but I don’t remember that appearance. His fins look pretty tattered as well. Are they new to the tank? Have you tested your water?

Alien

TWiG87 said:
He definitely looks a little rough. Its been years since I had mine, but I don’t remember that appearance. His fins look pretty tattered as well. Are they new to the tank? Have you tested your water?
No I had them for about a year. Yes I tested the water everything is good so far. I did recently transfer all my fish to a bigger tank (It is cycled) because they needed an upgrade.

A201

Might try treating with StressGuard. The SD's slimecoat looks pretty bad.

Alien

A201 said:
I will do that. I was worried about them and I didnt/dont know what to do

Alien

Alien

A201 said:
My silver dollar looks kinda like fuzzy in some
A201 said:
I think they are getting worse? Because they kinda look like their skin is peeling off but it's not their skin
And I'm worried about them and idk what's happening :(

TWiG87

I would start with A201’s recommendation of stress coat. Also, increasing your water change frequency won’t hurt.

Alien

TWiG87 said:
I would start with A201’s recommendation of stress coat. Also, increasing your water change frequency won’t hurt.
I got some of the stress guard stuff and I added it in the tank today,
And yeah I'll have to do a water change

Hopefully I can help the fish because I have no idea what's happening to them and their body is looking weird, they swim around normally and don't rub up against anything so I'm not quite sure what's happening

I just noticed this yesturday, it started to look like my SD was patchy now it's getting worse? Unless the steessguard is doing that? Will stressguard help with this? Or do I need to get different medicines?
(Sorry for all the questions)

A201

The SD is much worse. Looks like actual tissue is peeling from the body. That is a symtom of Oodinium / Velvet. Do you notice any gold or yellow dust like particles on the SD?

Alien

A201 said:
The SD is much worse. Looks like actual tissue is peeling from the body. That is a symtom of Oodinium / Velvet. Do you notice any gold or yellow dust like particles on the SD?
I don't notice any gold or yellow dust like particles on it. The patches are just white and kinda fuzzy looking? Maybe they aren't fuzzy but they look fuzzy to me

A201

Alien

A201 said:
IMO, you're either dealing with Velvet or Columnaris? Are the tank mates okay & do you have a hospital tank?
Yeah the other fish are doing well
And I have my old tank that they were in before? But I don't have a filter for it

A201

Oodinium is extremely contagious, so having healthy tank mates likely rules that out.
Columnaris, a bacterial disease, is usually fatal, even after antibiotic treatment. It can spread if tank mates are allowed to graze on a dead infected corpse.
Its best to remove the infected fish asap and either treat the disease with antibiotics or euthanize.
Sorry I didn't recognize the illness earlier.
Afterwards, do a 50% water change & keep watch on the tankmates.

Alien

A201 said:
Oodinium is extremely contagious, so having healthy tank mates likely rules that out.
Columnaris, a bacterial disease, is usually fatal, even after antibiotic treatment. It can spread if tank mates are allowed to graze on a dead infected corpse.
Its best to remove the infected fish asap and either treat the disease with antibiotics or euthanize.
Sorry I didn't recognize the illness earlier.
Afterwards, do a 50% water change & keep watch on the tankmates.
Is that the only way it can spread to other fish?

And should I put them in my other tank? I have an old filter that might work but I don't have the filter media for it, it's also still full of the old water that they were in before because I recently moved them to the bigger tank, I'm not quite sure what to do

A201

Definitely remove the SD. Get the old filter running. Chances for survival aren't very good.

Alien

A201 said:
Definitely remove the SD. Get the old filter running. Chances for survival aren't very good.
Well I'll try and help them at least :/ do you have any suggestions for medication

SixThreeOh

Probably being bullied and scraping against something. I'll get one every now and then that looks like that. Stresscoat or some salt with clean water will get it back to normal.

A201

Furan 2 & Kanaplex are the two most recommended meds. Don't medicate the main tank, the antibiotics will kill the benificial bacteria & crash your cycle.

SixThreeOh

Here's one of mine that had the same thing. I thought it was columnaris, but it's just from scraping up their sides. Think it just looks worse on them compared to other fish since they're scaleless.

Alien

SixThreeOh said:
Probably being bullied and scraping against something. I'll get one every now and then that looks like that. Stresscoat or some salt with clean water will get it back to normal.
SixThreeOh said:
Here's one of mine that had the same thing. I thought it was columnaris, but it's just from scraping up their sides. Think it just looks worse on them compared to other fish since they're scaleless.
I don't know if its columnaris because they aren't gasping for air ar the top, and they don't look pale or bloated, and they aren't swimming around weird they are swimming normally.

Any suggesting on what to do?
(Sorry again for all the questions I am just worried)

SixThreeOh

Figure out what's spooking them. Spread decorations out so they have ample space to avoid them. Add some salt to get the slime coat back into shape.

Alien

SixThreeOh said:
Figure out what's spooking them. Spread decorations out so they have ample space to avoid them. Add some salt to get the slime coat back into shape.
They are normally pretty skiddish and spooked tbh. And I will do that.
Would it be possible if you could explain to me how to add some salt and what kinda salt I can use?

SixThreeOh

Go to the baking aisle and find a salt that's non-iodized and doesn't have an anti-caking agent. I add 1 cup to my 75 gallon.

They are extremely skittish. Mine have all sorts of triggers. I can't use certain lights in my kitchen because they'll freak out. Phone-flashes and the flashlight even during the day set them off. If I don't turn my aquarium lights on/off in the right order they go berserk.

Alien

SixThreeOh said:
Go to the baking aisle and find a salt that's non-iodized and doesn't have an anti-caking agent. I add 1 cup to my 75 gallon.

They are extremely skittish. Mine have all sorts of triggers. I can't use certain lights in my kitchen because they'll freak out. Phone-flashes and the flashlight even during the day set them off. If I don't turn my aquarium lights on/off in the right order they go berserk.
Do you have any recommendations for the brand of salt?
I have a 50 gallon, how much salt would I use?

Yeah sometimes I just walk by the tank and they get scared.

SixThreeOh

Half a cup should work. Whatever is cheapest, which is normally Kroger brand for me.

Alien

SixThreeOh said:
Half a cup should work. Whatever is cheapest, which is normally Kroger brand for me.
One more question, do I have to dissolve the salt in water before adding it into the tank?

SixThreeOh

Yes.

Alien

noranymph

im curious to see if your fish are doing ok since this?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom