Patch on Betta

DavidJTurley
Hi all,

My Betta has always seemed in good health. Although I woke up this morning to find a patch near his mouth. Information below;

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
40 litres
How long has the tank been running?
12 months
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
25-26 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
One male halfmoon Betta and 2 assassin snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
I change the water weekly and hoover the graver every other week
How much of the water do you change?
Around 20 percent with just a water change and around 30-40 percent with a deep gravel clean
What do you use to treat your water?
Interpet Tapsafe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum the substrate every other week as mentioned above

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes although that hasn’t had to be done for a long time!
What do you use to test the water?
AP1 test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 50
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Every morning
How much do you feed your fish?
A small pinchful- like the size of his eye if not a little bit more
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Fluval Bug Bites and King British Bloodworms
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
A mixture- the bug bites are dry and bloodworms are frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
He has a slight inflammation near his mouth and it is white
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Nope- wanted to know what it is first
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Nope he has always been healthy apart from the odd fin tear on objects
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
No- he is still swimming and eating like normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
This was noticed this morning. He seems to have an inflammed white patch near his mouth. He is still eating normally and swimming around normally but this may be an illness in the rest stages. The first picture is an image of the fish normally (image was around a week ago) and the second is of him today- he will see the white patch To the left of his mouth. I’m not sure if anybody has an idea of this is a tumour or an ulcer?

Attachments

• 53967EF3-D738-4C4C-A001-2047D7A85318.jpeg
    53967EF3-D738-4C4C-A001-2047D7A85318.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 35B593C6-C2C9-45C6-98F8-B38C598376CC.jpeg
    35B593C6-C2C9-45C6-98F8-B38C598376CC.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 43
Advertisement
NBettas83
Ok, at first, I thought you meant on his nose. Which might have been Columnaris. But thankfully this does not look like that. First thing I want to say is, your Nitrate is too high, which seems very odd. Is it normally this high? Or did you mean 5.0 ppm? Nitrate should be under 20ppm. You seemed to have covered the rest and seem like a very caring fishkeeper. Would you be able to get a closer picture (focused is preferred)? He might have just rubbed scales off or marbled but it is hard to tell. He might be fine but we definitely have to solve the Nitrate issue. I hope your fish stays healthy!

P.S. He is very pretty!

DavidJTurley
Thanks for your kind reply! He is a great fish and that’s why we would like to keep him healthy.

I have struggled to get a good picture of him today but you may see the white patch on his mouth/cheek area via the image. As mentioned, it looks slightly swollen and almost like cotton wool (although not that fluffy). However he is still swimming around like normal and is eating like normal so I really have no idea?!

Yes the water testing kit by king British is showing the water is 50mg/l rather than ppm so I am not sure what that converts to. In the leaflet it states 50mg/l is okay but anything above that could cause algae growth and speed up nitrogen levels?

Thanks for your help so far!

Attachments

• 7C6CFCD6-BBF6-4DFD-AEB7-94F04D3DB2AD.jpeg
    7C6CFCD6-BBF6-4DFD-AEB7-94F04D3DB2AD.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 24
goldface
I don't see ich, so don't jump the gun yet. I've already seen too many people misdiagnose their fish, and thus mistreat their fish with sometimes disastrous results. I would seriously consider looking into what ich looks like. Should appear like a grain of sugar or salt stuck to the fish. For now, I would do a large water change, about 50 percent, to bring down your nitrates.

NBettas83
Okay, so I guess 1 ppm = roughly 1 mg/l. So as goldface stated, you should do a large water change. I can't tell what it is right now, but I'd say to keep an eye on that spot and see if it changes. Keep an eye on him too. You might want to consider picking up some medicine (if you haven't already). I'd recommend having Anti-parasitic, Antibacterial, Anti-fungal medicine, and Aquarium Salt. Just so you have something to cover each type of disease. This is my setup and opinion though, I've thankfully never had to treat anything other than Fin Rot. So I'm not too experienced in medicine. You might not need any medicine at the moment. But trust me, it pays to have it around when you need it. Hope your fish gets better.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
betta06
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettamay
  • Question
Replies
Views
cats7892734