Patch Of Raised Scales

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Sushi'skeeper, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Sushi'skeeper

Sushi'skeeper Valued Member Member

Hello all. I have come from a different forum, because I desperately need answers. If I am putting this in the wrong place, I deeply apologize, as I am new here. This is my girl, Sushi. I got her as a baby 2 1/2 years ago as a male, hence the name "Sushi", lol. Not to mention she means the absolute world to me. She currently lives in a 10 gallon, 78 degree, and filtered tank. Temperature is normally a bit higher, but my heater is broken. Sushi just had a battle with velvet, and now, she seems to have another problem. The right side of her body has become very oddly shaped, as if she has swim bladder. Also, in the general area, a patch of scales are faintly rising. She is not pineconing everywhere, like dropsy, so I am just completely stumped as to what this could be. Her behavior has not changed. Still eats like a pig and still gets super excited when I come to say hello to her. The pictures were taken last night, I couldn't get any today because she will not stop moving, however, her scales today are a tad bit more risen than last night. If anyone could please help me, I would appreciate it. I'm worried sick, and just need some help.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

She is starting to pine cone, at least that is what it looks like to me. Normally, I'd say dropsy, but when you throw in the part where her body is twisting around, I'm wondering if it isn't fish Tb.

3. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

Looks like early dropsy

4. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

Wow, I never thought of fish TB. A member on a forum suggested an internal tumor, but fish TB? That's terrifying. So since we don't really know for sure if it is fish TB, what can I do? I heard it's very contagious to humans, so I want to be extra careful.

5. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

I was thinking early dropsy, but was really hoping I wasn't right.

6. Cori Elizabeth

How's her swimming behaviour?

7. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

Her swimming behavior is fantastic, actually. She's zipping around like the happy girl she's always been!

8. Cori Elizabeth

Is she bloated? Perhaps you could feed her some deshelled peas

9. APierce

I would be careful just in case that is what it is, but perhaps treat her with some Kanamycin. If it is dropsy that is bacterial it should take care of it. Might even take care of fish tb as well, but I'm not sure.

10. Cori Elizabeth

Has the white spot in the second picture always been there?

11. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

Will do, thank you so much!

12. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

@Cori Elizabeth I don't think it has been there, I know she has always had that dark grey discoloration spot beside it, but not the white spot, what could it be?

13. Cori Elizabeth

is it fuzzy or salt like?

14. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

It kind of looks like a grain of salt, actually.

15. Cori Elizabeth

What temperature do you have the tank in? Is it freshwater?

Are you familiar with ich?

16. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

Yes, freshwater, and at 78, it's usually higher, but my heater is acting up. I'm not to familiar with ick.

17. Cori Elizabeth

Are there any other salt like particles on her? Are there any white clumps in your substrate or water?

18. OP
    OP
    Sushi'skeeper

No white clumps and no other salt like particles, could it possibly be an odd coloration on her scale?

19. APierce

If you haven't added any plants, things from other people's tanks, other fish, snails, etc in the last month or two, then I'd not think it was ich honestly.

20. Cori Elizabeth

Perhaps, but I would watch her very closely if it's possibly ich. more dots will show up on her fins especially.

with regards to the scales, try peas. Once fish start pineconing however I'm pretty sure it doesnt get any better. Cindi will be able to help you further :)

@CindiL I hope you don't mind me tagging you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice