Pass out the cigars!

Monkeypoint

My angelfish have been laying batching of eggs like, every day for about a week. I see the eggs on a leaf in the morning, but by later in the day, they're gone. Today, I saw fry swimming around, while some are still in the wiggler phase, I think. So that's the good news. The bad news is the parents are now gobbling up the fry. In the future, what should I do to better prepare? Set up a separate tank? Scoop up the eggs before they hatch?

In the meantime, should I do a water change as usual? I didn't want to stress out the parents yesterday - my usual water change day, but since I started adding ferts, I'm concerned about nitrates spiking.

UPDATE: the angelfish parents are not eating the fry after all! They're cleaning them! I have a 55 gallon tank, and aside from the two angels, I have 3 mollies and 6 SAE. The angelfish are doing a great job of guarding the fry. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. In the meantime, I ran out and bought some frozen brine shrimp cubes. The dude at my LFS advised me to start dropping 2 cubes a day when the fry begin swimming independently, away from the pack and to do 25% water changes every other day. Feel free to weigh in.

BigManAquatics

Yes a seperate tank for the fry is a start. I think its common for people to put the breeding pair in a seperate tank and move the pair back to the main tank so eggs/fry have a better chance.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AquaMan3640
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank GBR Fry Survival Issue
Replies
Views
Racing1113
Replies
Views