Pass On The Flowerhorn??

tlb0680
I found a used tank online and have the option to purchase the Kamfa flowerhorn with it for $10.
I’ve read up on them so I have the basics, but do you guys with experience think I should adopt him or run far, far away from him? LOL

Nikki2577
I love my flowerhorn, he is super friendly and has a great personality Its up to you if you want to just have one fish in a tank as they are usually not good with friends(usually friends become snack). My flowerhorn is very nice and does have a tank mate but I don’t think this is the norm.

What size tank is it?

tlb0680
I love my flowerhorn, he is super friendly and has a great personality Its up to you if you want to just have one fish in a tank as they are usually not good with friends(usually friends become snack). My flowerhorn is very nice and does have a tank mate but I don’t think this is the norm.

What size tank is it?

The tank is only 25 G which I know isn’t big enough. I am looking at it for something else and they happened to have this guy living in it. What is the min gallon one could away with to house this guy ? There’s always a million tanks online for good prices. Just want to make sure I choose the right one (if I do decide to take him )

Nikki2577
Well I would say a 75 gallon but mine is in a 140 and he is much happier in the larger tank. I had him in a 55 for a short time and he would get scared when someone would walk by. Like I said it really depends on the fish as mine isn’t quite normal. I would scoop up a flowerhorn for 10 bux in a second. He is the most personable fish I have

tlb0680
Well I would say a 75 gallon but mine is in a 140 and he is much happier in the larger tank. I had him in a 55 for a short time and he would get scared when someone would walk by. Like I said it really depends on the fish as mine isn’t quite normal. I would scoop up a flowerhorn for 10 bux in a second. He is the most personable fish I have

Thanks! I’ll think about it and let you know haha. Mind sharing a pic of your tank and baby?

Nikki2577

IMG_0995.jpg
This is Fred ) He is a ThaI Silk.

Yea keep me updated!

The tank is no fun just a little bit of gravel and that little pile of rocks and wood was in there so the Green Terror could escape if Fred wanted to eat her. Lol

Oh and if you do get the flowerhorn I wouldn’t put too much in the tank because they love to redecorate! Lol mine has plastic plants he loves to move around and if we move them on the other side of the tank he gets mad and puts them back where they were so cute!!

Kalyke
If I had a 120 or so I would adopt the fish in a second. That is a gorgeous fish for 10$ I know nothing of breeding or selling fish, but that is worth far more than 10$. WOW!

Nikki2577
No he was more than ten dollars lol your would be ten bux right? That’s why I said scoop him up

Thank you He is super special to me. I always wanted one but I wanted the kind you are looking at but one of the people on here showed me this guy and I fell in love! Lol

tlb0680
Thanks for sharing Nikki! Fred is gorgeous I did read about their tank rearranging! That might bug my OCD hehe. The more I talk to you the more I want to go snatch the fish up

Nikki2577
You are very welcome Na just move the stuff everyday and it will keep him busy

I mean you need a lot of aquariums right, so I say DOOOO IT! Lol

VeiltailKing
Snatch that fish up! Deal of a lifetime (if the fish is healthy)

On a side note, you will have a full time tank decorator

tlb0680
You are very welcome Na just move the stuff everyday and it will keep him busy

I mean you need a lot of aquariums right, so I say DOOOO IT! Lol

Haha! I’ll tell my husband you said that

Nikki2577
That’s what I did to my husband and now Fred is his favorite fish! Lol He calls him big blue, he is almost 12”.

If I had a 120 or so I would adopt the fish in a second. That is a gorgeous fish for 10$ I know nothing of breeding or selling fish, but that is worth far more than 10$. WOW!

Lol no that’s my fish, he wasn’t $10 lol but if the one she is looking at looks good $10 is a steal

Kalyke
What's the color called of the blue one? I have only seen pink or red flowerhorns, I never knew they came in blue!

Also, his profile looks like Elvis.

Nikki2577
What's the color called of the blue one? I have only seen pink or red flowerhorns, I never knew they came in blue!

Also, his profile looks like Elvis.

That is so funny!! Elvis! I should have looked more closely at his profile before naming him

He is a ThaI Silk flowerhorn. So basically he is all pearls, at least that’s what I have read

tlb0680
Here is the fish I’m looking at. Photo cred to the current owner Rajeeve

Attachments

• EF3E8503-E740-4007-9C06-61E40A508273.png
    EF3E8503-E740-4007-9C06-61E40A508273.png
    381.5 KB · Views: 131
Nikki2577
Oh yes take it!!! Look at those fins. It’s pretty small still by the looks of the picture. I don’t know a ton but I looks like a nice fish. Soooo cute! If you can’t keep it because it needs a bigger home than you could sell it for more than 10 bux. Lol did they tell you how old it was?

tlb0680
Oh yes take it!!! Look at those fins. It’s pretty small still by the looks of the picture. I don’t know a ton but I looks like a nice fish. Soooo cute! If you can’t keep it because it needs a bigger home than you could sell it for more than 10 bux. Lol did they tell you how old it was?

they haven't answered my questions! lol I'm getting impatient hehe once I commit myself to a critter, I want it NOW

The guy with the parrot cichlid has only had it 3 months. he got it from someone else who surrendered it so he has no idea how old it is. And a 3rd person I contacted about a yellow fish that he had listed as a flowerhorn appears to be a Midas (I posted it in another thread). I asked what type of flowerhorn is was and he said he didn't know. Don't people know what they're buying?? lol or rescuing? How to you prepare for the care of something when you don't know what its needs are? well I guess that's why the fish is getting re-homed iId imagine.

Nikki2577
Lol I know how you feel, I am impatient too!

I didn’t know there was a parrot in there)) I have 4 of them well if it is a blood parrot, and I love them too, they are pretty entertaining. I got one from the same person I got Fred from just a couple weeks ago. As far as I know Midas are part of what makes a blood parrot, some people house blood parrots with flowerhorns. Have they been housed together the whole time? They might get along)

Yea I have no idea how people don’t know what fish they have. I have had some Geophagus that I had no clue but I knew they would work in one of my tanks just had to decide which ones

I am going to have to try and find your other thread. I want to see what the Midas looks like. What was your title?

Lol I just found your thread, I don’t know how I missed that beauty. Yea I hear they are pretty aggressive. I don’t know if they have to live alone or with fish that are the same temperament.

tlb0680
I like yellow, so it drew me to that fish, but maybe I should stick with my original plan with getting Electric yellow labs? I hear they are easier and more docile out of the cichlids for noobs like me

Nikki2577
Yes I think they are, but with Africans aren’t you supposed to have a bunch? I don’t know much about the Africans. My interior walls are painted yellow so I love yellow too! Lol

Is the other one you looked at a blood parrot or a parrot?

tlb0680
Oh! The ad says parrot. I thought it was the same fish just called 2 different things? So what’s the difference? Ones darker?

Nikki2577
No they are different. Lol I think what they have are blood parrots because the true parrots are harder to come by, I believe the true part are South American black water fish. A true parrot is not man made like the blood parrot. They are also not pink. I believe the true parrots have vertical lines along their body. I would have to look up what a true parrots behavior is. The blood parrot is aggressive but if their mouth can’t close all the way than they really can’t hurt too much. Mine act tough, they flare like a betta! Lol it makes me laugh because my other fish are like yea......we aren’t scared.

I just looked it up and I see true parrots have both vertical and horizontal lines on them! Lol They are really pretty.

tlb0680
Oh interesting!! I’ll have to google them and learn more as I obviously didn’t know they were different. Bad me hehe
I watched a video on you tube of someone petting their parrot. Loved it! Never thought you could actually interact that way with fish before!

Nikki2577
I pet my flowerhorn everyday Blood Parrots are very friendly too. I think the bigger cichlids are very cool and are more personable.I never knew that either until I got cichlids. Lol

The only reason I knew they were different was because I was researching the blood parrots and I saw a picture of something different

tlb0680
SO the guy selling the flowerhorn hasn’t responded in over a day. Not sure if he’s busy, it’s sold, or he’s ignoring me lol.
Saw blood parrots at the pet store last night!! I may just buy one from there so I can raise it from young
I’ve seen people online mix parrots and yellow labs but I worry about how much food the parrot will actually get with his weird mouth ??

Nikki2577
I hope he responds because I think you would like that flowerhorn

Are the blood parrots that you looked at dyed? If so just be aware that they will fade. I’m not sure if their life is shortened because of that. Also I really wouldn’t worry about them getting food because they are complete pigs in my opinion. Lol Just get pellets that will fit in their mouths. Mine like sinking pellets.

It’s fun to get fish when they are young and you can watch them transform into adulthood

tlb0680
He’s responded and asked if I want the other one he has too! A male and female. He said they need to be introduced. (But they are together in the pic??)
And someone is coming to get the tank so he needs to get rid of them. Doesn’t sound too responsible. But I’m heading home with 2 flowerhorns!! I’m going to be asking a million questions!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh

Attachments

• 209268A5-60C2-453C-88FE-20F89226BF5A.jpeg
    209268A5-60C2-453C-88FE-20F89226BF5A.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 75
Nikki2577
Oh my!!! That can be dangerous. I guess if you want to try than you will have to keep a very close eye on them. To be honest I don’t know much about them being together other than spawning. If you can try to get a tank divider or even if you can get something to separate them I really think that would be your best option.

The ex-owner probably realized there was an issue with them being together so that why he said they had to be introduced.

I am worried about them. Please keep me updated on how it goes. I think the purple one is a good quality just by my little knowledge. The black line on the side is very distinct and that is a good quality)

I will help with as much as I can but I want to say it again keep a very close eye on them.

I tried to PM you but it wouldn’t let me. Ahhhhhhh

tlb0680
Thank you so much NikkI

Don’t worry, I will keep them separate. I won’t take a chance. I’ll take more pics and check in once I get them settled.

I tried to PM you but it wouldn’t let me. Ahhhhhhh

Bah! I’ll try and pm you. If I can figure it how hahaha

Nikki2577
Usually you just click on the name and type and hit send but it says I can’t do it! Lol

tlb0680
Ok I tried lol. Let me know if you got it haha

I have the fish out of their Pails and into very temp tanks until I can move them. Wanted to keep them in their own water until I confirm my parameters. Are these guys really sensitive to water parameters? Or are they a bit hardy?

I’m not sure the pic he sent me is the one of the fish I got! Anyways. I love them already

Attachments

• 8769085A-BF9D-4B5B-9551-4B2A7E9BBBD9.jpeg
    8769085A-BF9D-4B5B-9551-4B2A7E9BBBD9.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 9DFB92BC-6981-4162-8C03-E930B929DB84.jpeg
    9DFB92BC-6981-4162-8C03-E930B929DB84.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 85
Kathryn Crook
View attachment 483936
This is Fred ) He is a ThaI Silk.

Yea keep me updated!

The tank is no fun just a little bit of gravel and that little pile of rocks and wood was in there so the Green Terror could escape if Fred wanted to eat her. Lol

Oh and if you do get the flowerhorn I wouldn’t put too much in the tank because they love to redecorate! Lol mine has plastic plants he loves to move around and if we move them on the other side of the tank he gets mad and puts them back where they were so cute!!
Just wow! Hes a beast..and a beauty!

Nikki2577
Ok I tried lol. Let me know if you got it haha

I have the fish out of their Pails and into very temp tanks until I can move them. Wanted to keep them in their own water until I confirm my parameters. Are these guys really sensitive to water parameters? Or are they a bit hardy?

I’m not sure the pic he sent me is the one of the fish I got! Anyways. I love them already

They are hardy I don’t know how they do with ammonia but just use prime if you have to.
I think they may be the same fish but as with any fish, stress will make their color fade and also with a FH the kok will shrink.

You will love them) I will give you a recipe of my homemade food I feed mine he loves it.

Just wow! Hes a beast..and a beauty!

Thank you so much He is handsome fellow!

tlb0680
They are hardy I don’t know how they do with ammonia but just use prime if you have to.
I think they may be the same fish but as with any fish, stress will make their color fade and also with a FH the kok will shrink.

You will love them) I will give you a recipe of my homemade food I feed mine he loves it.

Ok thanks so Much!!

Nikki2577
How are they doing? I would wait to feed them until tomorrow, I see there is some food in there. They get kind of testy when they get moved around so they probably won’t eat.

Ok thanks so Much!!

They are nice fish you have, I think they are just stressed right now. I highly doubt they were together because their fins took good, most likely they would have chunks bitten out if they were together and lip locking like in the pic they sent you.

tlb0680
They are nice fish you have, I think they are just stressed right now. I highly doubt they were together because their fins took good, most likely they would have chunks bitten out if they were together and lip locking like in the pic they sent you.

Thanks

I have them in bigger temporary tanks until I can spend time with them tomorrow. I have training for work tomorrow at 8am ( on a Saturday!! Guh) otherwise I’d stay up all night lol.
They seem to be ok. I haven’t fed them yet. That stuff you saw was from the pail water when I transferred them. I’ll have to read up on how much to feed them. They are massive compared to anything I’ve ever owned so I feel like they need Lots of food but also people tend to over feed so any guidance would be appreciated

I have their heaters set to 82 so let me know if I should raise it more

I named the girl Daisy. I named her before I even saw her in person. Lol. Now I need a name for Mr Flowerhorn.

I’ll update you when I’m home after my training!

So they weren’t kissing???

Nikki2577
Thanks

I have them in bigger temporary tanks until I can spend time with them tomorrow. I have training for work tomorrow at 8am ( on a Saturday!! Guh) otherwise I’d stay up all night lol.
They seem to be ok. I haven’t fed them yet. That stuff you saw was from the pail water when I transferred them. I’ll have to read up on how much to feed them. They are massive compared to anything I’ve ever owned so I feel like they need Lots of food but also people tend to over feed so any guidance would be appreciated

I have their heaters set to 82 so let me know if I should raise it more

I named the girl Daisy. I named her before I even saw her in person. Lol. Now I need a name for Mr Flowerhorn.

I’ll update you when I’m home after my training!

Ok don’t overfeed, I can give you a formula on how many pellets to feed them or you can just tell me how many inches they are and I can tell you

The temp at 82 is good, that’s what I had Fred at until just recently and I dropped it to 80 because there are conflicting stories on line about it. Some say the higher temp will shorten there lifespan, some say if you don’t have the temp around 82 they won’t have good color. I would stick with 82 for now

I am glad you can be home and watch them later today

I love her name I named Fred before I had him too! Lol once you watch them for a bit you will be able to name him pretty quick.

Training on Saturday how dare they!! Lol keep me updated Cant wait to hear what’s going on with them.

So they weren’t kissing???

Lol well maybe in that I will rip your face of first kind of way

tlb0680
Lol well maybe in that I will rip your face of first kind of way

Bahahaha!!!!

So just a quick update..... both are doing well!! They sure are sociable already and don’t even know me yet. I love them lol

It seemed as though the big boy wanted me to pet him this morning. See pic haha

I fed them a bit this morning. About 6 pellets? I got some food from the previous owner. I bought flakes as well. Or should I stick with pellets?

Attachments

• 6A4850ED-6534-4E18-88BE-715D20CE3D3D.jpeg
    6A4850ED-6534-4E18-88BE-715D20CE3D3D.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 76
Nikki2577
It looks like he likes you I would touch him when you can so he won’t bite you later on (no guaranties) lol Yes they are quite different than other fish. Are they rolling for you? I call it a dance. It’s when they go to the surface and wave their head back and forth. So cute

You can give him both, what I have found that variety is best. Try to get him to eat some veggies too. Spirulina flakes are good too. They need veggies so they don’t get constipated. How many inches are they? What size pellets are you feeding? What brand pellets? Sorry so many questions. Lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Smokin99
Replies
Views
Rivieraneo
Replies
Views
finnipper59
Replies
Views