Particles after water change

JasperWard

Hello everyone i do weekly water changes and gravel vacs in my 5 gal planted betta tank. I have a aqueon quietflow 10 internal filter, It has 3 peices of foam, bioringns, and a carbon zeolite crystal mix in it. I get watwr particles after water changes and some settle or filtered but alot remain in water column. Any advice? Might buy another filter, a small sponge one. Photo is directly after maintnance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 19

TClare

I think that is pretty normal after a water change, I presume it clears up fairly quickly?

Upvote 0

A201

It's likely just sterile bio gunk particles
that got dislodged from your filter.
All my filters emit tiny white particles when I sevice them & start them back up. The particles are harmless.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

It normally goes away for the most part but it always seems like there is a little bit of stuff in the water column, I am looking into polishing pads

Upvote 0

John58ford

If it drives you crazy use some floculant "accu clear"etc right after water changes, but be warned it will dramatically increase the frequency of having to clean your sponges.

If you can fit some poly fill into your filter stacks it will help too. I use the crib x-small before my sponges.

Personally I expect an hour or two of cloudiness after water changes if I disturb the sand/plants, I usually hold off and change my polyfil filter the next day since a dirty filter usually filters finer particles better, without floculant.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

If it drives you crazy use some floculant "accu clear"etc right after water changes, but be warned it will dramatically increase the frequency of having to clean your sponges.

If you can fit some poly fill into your filter stacks it will help too. I use the crib x-small before my sponges.

Personally I expect an hour or two of cloudiness after water changes if I disturb the sand/plants, I usually hold off and change my polyfil filter the next day since a dirty filter usually filters finer particles better, without floculant.
What brand of poly fil do you use, could you link it possibly, what micron is it? I will get some accu-clear tonight off amazon, thats api right?

Upvote 0

John58ford

Fairfield. They sell it at walmart and craft stores. The low loft is stuff I prefer. Here's an example."Poly-Fil® Low-Loft® 100% Polyester Batting by Fairfield™, 45" x 60", Precut, White - Walmart.com - Walmart.com" Poly-Fil® Low-Loft® 100% Polyester Batting by Fairfield™, 45" x 60", Precut, White - Walmart.com

The accuclear is something by api, I don't use it often. I think the little bottle is near full still and 3+ years old. The downfall is the filter clogging after use but if you expect it it's not that bad in a pinch.

Upvote 0

JasperWard

Could I use this as polishing, i do not really have a walma
Fairfield. They sell it at walmart and craft stores. The low loft is stuff I prefer. Here's an example."Poly-Fil® Low-Loft® 100% Polyester Batting by Fairfield™, 45" x 60", Precut, White - Walmart.com - Walmart.com" Poly-Fil® Low-Loft® 100% Polyester Batting by Fairfield™, 45" x 60", Precut, White - Walmart.com

The accuclear is something by api, I don't use it often. I think the little bottle is near full still and 3+ years old. The downfall is the filter clogging after use but if you expect it it's not that bad in a pinch.
I got that exact poly fil on amazon last noght, and a sponge filter to
put on my airstone for extra filtration, did another water change and gravel vac today, everytime i vac the gravel there is always more detritus. Hoping that this helps to remove those annoying dots in water column. It definently clears up after a water change as well just not fully

Upvote 0

JasperWard

put on my airstone for extra filtration, did another water change and gravel vac today, everytime i vac the gravel there is always more detritus. Hoping that this helps to remove those annoying dots in water column. It definently clears up after a water change as well just not fully

Poly fil arrived putting it in when i do maintnance today

Upvote 0

JasperWard

Update it worked quitw well but some of the dots where flaoting rhabdocela flatworms and copepods

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SinisterCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
ChimericalFish
  • Question
Replies
Views