Partial water changing without disturbing substrate and plants

1. arriflex Initiate Member

Did a major water change today and refilled via buckets- with the tank at about 60% the incoming water made some big depressions in the substrate and uprooted a couple plants (artificial in the foreground but there are a few live in the back). It also flushed all the ghosts out of the driftwood.

I tried using the pour lid but it just glugged and glugged and splashed water everywhere.

Anyone have recommendations on how to do this?

Thanks!

(Bonus picture of an emerald chilling in his hammock)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bescher Member Member

When do changes I use 5 gal Home Depot buckets and raise them higher than the tank. So in essence I am doing a reverse of the normal change. The fresh water goes back into the tank via the same hose I use to clean the tank with. I have about 6 of these buckets. I fill one completely and another I just put in two gallons ( I only have a thirty gal tank.) in the other one and I do it the night before and I put prime or Amquel into each one ( depending on which I grab first and the same thing goes into each bucket. That way the temp gets even with the tank and buckets of water get some aeration and oxygen into them before I put them in the tank. Amquel will remove oxygen from the water so doing it this way I ensure all is taken care of. In the morning or next afternoon I use the empty buckets to clean and take water out of the tank.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I try & aim the new water at the wood & not pour to quickly so the flow is evened out & not just hits one place

4. mopa Member Member

I use 5 gallon buckets but scoop out smaller portions at first and pour into tank. I usually pour into tank above the castle so the water disperses around a area and doesn't go straight down. Alotof the timemy fish love to come play in the current as I pour into tank.

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Put a bowl or something in the tank, on the substrate, and pour into that. Put something in it to weigh it down if you need to.

6. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

What I did with my 10g tank was to scoop out smaller portions of water and pour it over my hand above the tank so that the water dispersed.

But if you have a tank that's larger than 30g, get a python. It's soooo easy to fill the tank.

7. arriflex Initiate Member

How do you treat the water before it goes in with the python?

8. millca Member Member

Just pour in enough Prime to treat your entire tank and then use the python to fill it straight from the tap.

9. arriflex Initiate Member

Pour it in the tank before adding the tap water, or does the python have some sort of feeder?

10. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Just pour the prime into the tank before filling it with the python.

11. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

If you dont want to disturb the substrate when pouring water back to the tank, you can always place a small upturned plate or a pot Etc on top of the substrate and pour the water onto that, which will dissipate the force

12. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Oh, so although the python makes the laborious task of filling the tank much easier, I'm not sure if it won't disturb the sand (I don't have sand substrate).

I think the water from the python may or may not disturb the sand depending on how high you have the faucet turned on and the water level of the tank.

13. arriflex Initiate Member

It sounds like python+plate or bowl is the magic setup.

14. April R Well Known Member Member

OK, that has got to be the cutest Cory pic I have ever seen. You have to submit that for the Fish of the Month contest!
    P.S. we have that same Castle in our 20 gallon Guppy/Emerald Cory tank. My 6 yr old daughter picked it out. Her twin brother got the Spongebob Pineapple house.
    [​IMG]

15. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

That or as @Coradee stated already, aim the out pour tube onto the driftwood. Any of these will work.

You should also read up on how to properly vacuum the sand, so that you don't suck up the sand and possibly disturb anaerobic pockets within your substrate.

16. arriflex Initiate Member

April

My daughter picked the castle out too (about to turn 6), she came and woke me up this morning to tell me one of the Corys was in it. She was so happy!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll submit that pic!

17. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

I use a water pump and set a timer. Pouring water in fast can drop temp and shock fish with changes. And kick up stuff of course.