Partial Water Change

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Mollyfish said:
just tested water with the API kit
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, but nitrate on 4
Should I do a part water change or leave it and test again in couple of days fish seem happy enough got 12 tetras altogether in a 60 litre tank
And 2 live plants at the moment
Nitrates or 4ppm or 40ppm? If the former, you're fine and no water change is really necessary. If the latter, I would do at least 50%.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A nice water change can't hurt the only thing that will hurt is the pain when your fish die to bad water quality. (I'm exaggerating), but seriously a water change will only make the fish happier.

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Ok did miss the 0 should have been 40 for nitrate. Shall do a water change this afternoon. As only put 6 new tetras in on Saturday was concerned might be a bit early don’t want to stress new fish out as not settled in yet lol

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Mollyfish said:
Ok did miss the 0 should have been 40 for nitrate. Shall do a water change this afternoon. As only put 6 new tetras in on Saturday was concerned might be a bit early don’t want to stress new fish out as not settled in yet lol
40 nitrates is at the upper limit of what you want to see. Once nitrates begin showing red or dark orange on the test kit, a water change should be performed. More live plants will help keep nitrates under control between weekly water changes (especially floating plants). Watch how much you feed, don't overstock, and try to aim for 20ppm nitrates or less.

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Will do a change but I’ll get another of plants first so can do both same time but have to be tomorrow for plants so do it then. And only feed once a day in the morning as told this would be fine

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom