Partial crack in bottom of 100 gallon aquarium - Help!

Aaron J Spetner

I just purchased a used 100 gallon aquarium (51inL x 20inW x 23inH). I've been cleaning and prepping it over the past few days and I just noticed that on the outer side of the bottom pane there is an approximately 4-inch long crack. The crack does not go all the way to the interior of the aquarium - I ran my fingernail over it and I didn't feel anything. How bad is this? I'm pretty sure it did not happen while moving it and the seller said that they had used it without issue for years. Do I need to replace the entire bottom? Is there a way I can seal the outer part of the pane so that it will hold?

Thanks
Aaron

Jim

A small crack in an aquarium is akin to "a little bit pregnant"! You know what the answer is, sorry.

Dolfan

I would not use that aquarium. Nothing worse then having a 100 galloon mess to clean up one day when you get home.

Jomolager

I hear you. This morning I was cleaning the oldest tank we own, and noticed that the bottom was cracked. I was glad I noticed it. I considered getting a piece of glass to replace the bottom, but decided it was not worth the effort for a 10 g, not sure about a 100 g. I wonder if anybody on FishLore has done it successfully and if it is worth doing it.

BGKFan

I wouldn't worry about it... then again I like to live in the edge...

Aaron J Spetner

A small crack in an aquarium is akin to "a little bit pregnant"! You know what the answer is, sorry.

Major bummer. Well thanks for the answers. I'll start a new thread about replacing the glass.

Jomolager

Good luck to you and lots and lots of patience.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
plecostomuch
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Leafray
Replies
Views