Partial crack in bottom of 100 gallon aquarium - Help!

Aaron J Spetner

I just purchased a used 100 gallon aquarium (51inL x 20inW x 23inH). I've been cleaning and prepping it over the past few days and I just noticed that on the outer side of the bottom pane there is an approximately 4-inch long crack. The crack does not go all the way to the interior of the aquarium - I ran my fingernail over it and I didn't feel anything. How bad is this? I'm pretty sure it did not happen while moving it and the seller said that they had used it without issue for years. Do I need to replace the entire bottom? Is there a way I can seal the outer part of the pane so that it will hold?

Thanks
Aaron

Jim

Well Known
A small crack in an aquarium is akin to "a little bit pregnant"! You know what the answer is, sorry.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
I would not use that aquarium. Nothing worse then having a 100 galloon mess to clean up one day when you get home.

Jomolager

Well Known
I hear you. This morning I was cleaning the oldest tank we own, and noticed that the bottom was cracked. I was glad I noticed it. I considered getting a piece of glass to replace the bottom, but decided it was not worth the effort for a 10 g, not sure about a 100 g. I wonder if anybody on FishLore has done it successfully and if it is worth doing it.

OP
A

Aaron J Spetner

Jim said:
A small crack in an aquarium is akin to "a little bit pregnant"! You know what the answer is, sorry.
Major bummer. Well thanks for the answers. I'll start a new thread about replacing the glass.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom