Parrot Turning Black!!!

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My parrot has recently been turning black!! the tail and fins specifically and certain areas of the body. does anyone know what the cause of this may be??

I recently changed my filter to include carbon. could that be the reasoN? alternatively, I have two pots and driftwood in my tank and the parrot often hides within one of the pots. could this be causing it? (i've had my pots and driftwood for a few months already with the parrot and no problems)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How old are your parrots?
Carol

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blood Parrot cichlids are the only fish that can get Black spot disease. This disease is very common BPs and appears as black spots on the fish. This is not normal or healthy and you should never buy Blood parrot cichlids that have this appearance. This disease can be a result of poor water quality and effected fish will get better if you improve the water quality. If the water quality isn’t poor the fish can get better after a few days. But black spots can also be a sign of that your fish is in spawning mood.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe specific areas are turning black is that correct? or is it little tiny black spots?
Loaches also get Black spot disease

Carol

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LyndaB said:
Blood Parrot cichlids are the only fish that can get Black spot disease. .

I have to say while I am not the best person when it comes to fish disease I would find this hard to believe. BP's are not a specific species of fish so my main problem with it, why would an illness be confined to a hybrid? Why wouldn't the fish species that are in a BP also be able to get it? I know there are diseases that affect only one species of fish, but I don't understand how it could be so with a mixed cichlid. Sorry Lynda that doesn't seem right to me, but like I said this isn't my strongest suit. If I am wrong plese tell me so I know.

Also with BP's it would be good to know how old they are as they go through color changes while young.

Brian

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Carol, that's interesting..... I did not know that..... obviously.

I don't know "why" BPs are written up as being the only fish to get this disease. I just know that every site I go to related to BPs offers this information.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

There is a great possibility that what your Bloody Parrots are experiencing is completely natural. Especially if they are under 2 years old. It's part of their nature to turn black in patches from time to time. Some are even found brown, gray and black and as they age these colors fade and a true Bloody Parrot will be a solid orange. The black spots may come and go while they are juveniles. If they are eating well, swimming normally and regular bowel movements then I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

If they are Elders then Black ICH could come into play too and it usually cures itself.

I've never experienced Black Spot Disease with my fish.

Ken

Notice the black on this fish and it's completely normal and will fade.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb09/br-parrot-cichlid.htm

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Butterfly said:
I believe specific areas are turning black is that correct? or is it little tiny black spots?
Loaches also get Black spot disease

Carol
i've purchased my parrot approximately 2 months ago. and I am sure it's under 1 years old.

specific areas particularly the tail fins and body are getting black.

it seems very healthy and active still and also continues to eat alot.

I had two parrots before and they fought each other all the time. I was told by the LFS that it's breeding time and they were probably getting ready to breed.

also, I should note that my parrot is a king kong parrot. I have a bare bottom tank and two drift woods and two pots. because of that, debris often gets stuck around those areas where the parrot hides (i.e. the pot).

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Personally I think everything sounds normal for this species. I've also had juveniles to spawn showing the same behavior.

Keep us posted.
Ken

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hey everyone!! some of the black spots disappeared now so it's going more towards its orange color again.

I did a water change and added carbon back to the tank. not sure if that is what helps it. still has a bit of black but hoping it'll go away

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning, It should go away but don't be surprised if it returns from time to time while they're young. Don't panic

Ken

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks aquarist!!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just went through this with one of my juvenile parrots. He went back to being orange after a few days or a week. It is most likely just juvenile coloration reappearing. When parrots are young they are greenish with black spots. The black spots come and go while young

seabelle

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
blood parrot black spot

Currently I have 2 juvenile BP's in a 60g. Yes,it's apparent as young BP's,they frequantly develop black spots,on body and fins,but they rapidly disappear,usually in a couple of days. I know it's not a water quality issue in my case since I keep the nitrates at 5ppm(really clean tank),and temp's between 78-80. They're happy,very active,eat well,so it's really just one of the characteristic color morphing traits of these fish.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads