parrot home question

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so I'm hoping ken sees this and anyone who has an answer for me. I have had my 2 br parrots for a year now, and they have grown too big for any pots or vases that I can find at the local ls stores. Both are constantly trying to get into the pottery that's too small for them. What types of pottery is safe in aquariums and how do I clean and set up to keep the little darlings happy. Thanks for any help, suggestions offered

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
terra cotta pots work great and you can find them in large sizes. If I remember right Ken's biggest is 9"x6" so just remember that when you look for one and try to get one at least that big if not a little bigger.
I am sure Ken will probably be by very early in the morning to answer this as well
Good luck

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks nmfishman, I gotta keep my babies happy

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Great suggestion from NHfishman

As my fish grew I had to increase the size of the terracotta pots. I use plain, new pots, no paints or glazes. All I do is sand down any rough edges, rinse them off and place them in the tank. It wouldn't hurt to plug up the hole in the bottom if you have fish that you feel may get stuck in the hole.

I usually find my pots at WalMart or Lowes, Home Depot. I just added two new larger ones recently to accommodate my largest Bloody Parrots. They love 'em! I have terracotta columns on the left hand side of the tank. I found a side of the rode clay pot stand a while back. That is where I found the columns, the snail and the pot bellied urn in the photos.

The strawberry pot in the center, I stuffed with a brick sponge. I had one fish to get stuck so I had to remedy that situation.

Ken

Attachments

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea Ken!!!!!!! I also have BRParrots......I used ALL of Kens ideas.....I did find my 3 pots at a discount houseware store....all of my fish love them....they were very inexpensive also...the most expensive one qwas like 8.99......my bigger ones are actually flat on the back...they were actually made to hang on the wall....(another one of Kens great ideas).....

Attachments

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
aquarist48 said:
Great suggestion from NHfishman
Ken
thanks Ken, but its NM not NH. I am from New Mexico not New Hampshire
All well I know its just a typo

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks guys the pics of your tanks are beautiful

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great advice above, of course! You can also break pots to create caves, then use a Dremel or similar to smooth the broken edges to make them fish safe.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks again guys, I went out and bought a nice pot for them today and they love it as does the rainbow shark

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Kloseo,

I'm glad to hear your fish are taking to the pots. Enjoy your tank and fish. Don't forget the photos

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads