Parrot fish won't eat any pellets!

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by kerryf88, Jun 27, 2016.

1. kerryf88

kerryf88 New Member Member

Long story short, my blood parrot fish that I had for 1+ years stopped eating his usual Hikari pellets two weeks ago, I've tried Hikari Cichlid bio gold+ and Hikari blood red parrot pallet, and he won't eat them. But he will eat Super Forte Spirulina flakes and bloodworms. It all happened after my heater broke down and the temperature dropped, I've replaced heater but he still won't eat the pellets. I've tried smashing the pellets into smaller size and pre-soak the pellet but he won't eat them!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Don't feed it for a few days then try again. And if you want it to eat pellets don't give it anything else until it eats them regularly.

4. OP
    OP
    kerryf88

kerryf88 New Member Member

this is what I am doing now as I too realize that by me feeding him stuff that he likes will make him even more determined to not eat any pellets. I will drop a few pellets in the tank everyday, and if he doesn't eat them after. 5 minutes I take the pellets out and try again the next day. So far it's been 3 days and he only ate 1 mini pellet. He gets excited when I bend down to get the food from the cupboard but once he realize it's just normal pellets that I dropped in the tank, he swims away... Do your guys know how long can fish go without food?

5. giovanni

giovanni New Member Member

I initially had issues feeding Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold+ as well when I first got them.

I read on one of the forums a great way to introduce pellets to my juvenile parrot fish and red severums was by feeding them half a cube of frozen bloodworms and then mixing in the pellets shortly after.

I found that even though the parrots and severums are shy by nature (especially when in a new tank) they can't resist the bloodworms and it lures them out to eat.

Be sure to soak the pellets for a little bit so it's easier on them to swallow if they're still juveniles.

Let me know if it works out for you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice