Parrot Fish Tank Mates

tanki60o

I have an approximately 45 gallon aquarium with a Parrot Cichlid, about a palm large. There's also a small Bushy nose pleco in there. What kind of tank mates can I add in there?

BichirKeeper84

What are the dimensions of the tank?

Dave125g

45 is not really big enough for a parrot. To answer your question though, convicts work well with them. Oscar's, green terrors, jack dempseys. To name a few.

tanki60o

I’m not sure of the exact dimensions, but it’s a 40 breeder.
Really? I’ve never heard parrots needed more than 30 gallons. Most things I seee recommend 30 plus 10 for every next one.

Dave125g

Lchi87 has a parrot, mabee she has more incite then me on parrot cichlids.

Lchi87

I really think the minimum for one parrot should be 55 gallon and 75 for 2. I wouldn’t get more fish unless you can upgrade but in a 55, I think you can add 2 medium sized compatible fish in with a BP plus a school of dithers if you wanted them. I wouldn’t do anything very aggressive; remember parrots have deformed mouths and can’t always bite down so they may not be able to defend themselves properly. You also don’t want to get fish that are delicate or shy since BPs can also be boisterous.

My 55 used to have a stocking of a BP, a pair of EBAs and a school of tiger barbs. That worked out pretty well for awhile. Looking back, I would have swapped them out for lemon tetras, I think the colors would have played off nicely and didn’t have to worry about nipping from the barbs.

I agree with Dave about convicts being good tank mates with more space. In a 75, severums would probably work well too.

Hope this helps!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom