Parrot Fish Eating Other Fish?

1. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

I have some parrot fish and some siamese algae eaters and I 've seen so many videos on parrot fish eating other fish. Now I'm worried because I don't want to come home one day to see a siamese algae eater head first in his mouth. The parrot fish are still 3 inches max (maybe less), and SAE get 6 inches. When the parrot fish grow up can they eat them?

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

How dangerous a parrot fish is to other fish depends on how the parrot fish's mouth is shaped. Does it have a fully functioning mouth or does it have the "kissy lips"? The few times I've heard of parrots eating other fish is only when the mouth of the parrot is actually functional.

3. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

I have no idea actually all I know is that he liked to lip lock in his old aquarium with a smaller parrot fish. How can I tell?

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Look at the mouth of the fish, is it deformed or shaped so it can close completely? A deformed mouth will appear pretty much open all the time, partially functioning means it can almost close its mouth, and functioning means it can close its mouth. Parrots can lip lock with partially functioning lips.

5. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

He looks like he is smiling all the time does that mean it's deformed?

6. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

I have 2 parrot fish in my S/C cichlid tank with an oscar, firemouth, salvini, 4 convicts, a severum, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others but regardless. In my experience, in this tank that I've mentioned, my parrot fish are probably my most temperamental, most chasey/problem causing fish. My one likes to chase EVERYTHING, but he can't cause any harm to anything bec of the way his mouth is shaped. My convicts i mentioned are breeding pairs, the parrot can't even catch a med. size fry; I've seen him try for guppies though. His mouth is always open and in a V shape. It never closes completely. EVER.

idk if you know this, but parrot fish do not exist in nature. The blood parrot, or jelly bean parrots is a cross between a red devil cichlid and a severum cichlid (I've heard of other crosses creating parrots...nonetheless). The red devil in them accounts for their attitude, the severum in them gives them their round/disc like shape and size. Anyway, because of this, I wouldn't worry about your SAE, Usually parrot fish have deformed mouths and although they get large enough to technically cause harm, they usually cannot.

As their mouth does not physically open or function well enough for the parrots to cause damage. Mine just chase everything. Even my oscar, who turns tail and shows the parrot who's boss most of the time...but again, that's the red devil in them. They're just a silly man-made fish, I wouldn't be worried at all.

If your fish CAN close his mouth AND open it wide, then it likely developed without the common deformity. Erm, if the SAE's are large enough not to fit right into his mouth, then u should be okay I think. In my experience, parrots just like to chase, I don't find them trying to eat everything like how my oscar likes to.

7. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

Yeah I know they are man-made, but never knew the family tree. I always thought how my severum looked like a yellow parrot fish. Still why are there so many videos of parrot fish with a large fish in their mouth

8. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

parrotfish get bigger than your SAE, so they are likely gonna disappear over the next few years.

9. FishGirl38

Go ahead and google a red devil if u don't know what it looks like already...He's the main reason the parrot likes eating other fish. lol. Severum can eat other fish but their mouths aren't quite as big. If your parrot has a 'normal' looking mouth, if his lips meet and close completely...I would be a bit concerned....But my parrots are also the most slow growing fish in my tank....next to my salvini.

I'll try to post a picture of blue and razzle, My parrots. So you can get an idea of how 'deformed' yours might be. Mine are definitely messed up. But they're cute.

10. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

So the people that have killer parrot fish are the ones that aren't deformed? Will my gold severum eat them? Mine looks like it's smiling so does that mean he is deformed?

11. Sarah73

do you know how goldfish are formed? breeder keep making them worse and worse, not caring if there are any deformities. It's really sad.

12. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

Yes, I know and I don't like it either. That's why I like the common goldfish the best. Although I like the ryukin a lot I don't like how they deformed the body so much that it has trouble with the swim bladder and can't even live 5 years without getting problems.

13. Sarah73

common feeder goldfish? or?

14. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

Yeah, the ones at the carnival. I keep it in my 90 gallon kiddy pool outside in the summer

I saved it :) I'm so happy. His 2 other friends died though :(

15. FishGirl38

The feeder goldfish might be the worse off in terms of health at a breeders hands though. Sure the ryukin and ranchu types have been bred into deformities on purpose, but with feeder goldfish. The breeders rarely care HOW the fry turn out or how they look, because they're feeders. Imo they're probably the most hardy, but I'd say comets are the most exploited. They're just lucky they're not being bred into deformity on purpose like how the ranchu and ryukins are. I'm waiting for the e-mail to myself to post those pics of my parrots. They're coming though, I won't be able to tell you what your's is capable of without a picture of him, but if he doesn't look like mine, it may be cause for concern later down the road.

16. Sarah73

That's good to hear, but that is very common. the fish at the carnival aren't treated well at all nor get what they need to live. back to the thread though, just watch the parrot fish.

17. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

Well if you are talking about deformities then all goldfish are deformed the only non-deformed goldfish is the koi. Back to the topic what does a deformed parrot fish look like.

18. FishGirl38

Okay, So these are my parrots. Blue (the yellow looking one) and razzle (the pinker looking one).

While I was taking these pictures, my parrot fish started harassing my oscar like what I was talking about.

But hopefully you can see (ESPECIALLY on blue) how their lips look like kissing gouramis? I tried to get one where you can see their mouth open (the hole/black spot that is their mouth). My parrots are ALWAYS like this. Mouths always open, when they eat, they just go up to w/e it is and suck. They don't open and close their mouths. When razzle instigates stuff with my oscar, he pushes him. Just swims into him...rather than opening and biting him or anything.

Attached Files:

19. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

Ummm about showing my fish I am not sure if they will stay still they like to jet around especially since I just moved them this morning. I can try to show you a picture when I come back home, at 3:30?

20. FishGirl38

yeah! that's fine, w/e is good for you.