Parrot Fish Eating Other Fish?

OneLittleBubble
I have some parrot fish and some siamese algae eaters and I 've seen so many videos on parrot fish eating other fish. Now I'm worried because I don't want to come home one day to see a siamese algae eater head first in his mouth. The parrot fish are still 3 inches max (maybe less), and SAE get 6 inches. When the parrot fish grow up can they eat them?

Demeter
How dangerous a parrot fish is to other fish depends on how the parrot fish's mouth is shaped. Does it have a fully functioning mouth or does it have the "kissy lips"? The few times I've heard of parrots eating other fish is only when the mouth of the parrot is actually functional.

OneLittleBubble
I have no idea actually all I know is that he liked to lip lock in his old aquarium with a smaller parrot fish. How can I tell?

Mcasella
I have no idea actually all I know is that he liked to lip lock in his old aquarium with a smaller parrot fish. How can I tell?
Look at the mouth of the fish, is it deformed or shaped so it can close completely? A deformed mouth will appear pretty much open all the time, partially functioning means it can almost close its mouth, and functioning means it can close its mouth. Parrots can lip lock with partially functioning lips.

OneLittleBubble
He looks like he is smiling all the time does that mean it's deformed?

FishGirl38
I have 2 parrot fish in my S/C cichlid tank with an oscar, firemouth, salvini, 4 convicts, a severum, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others but regardless. In my experience, in this tank that I've mentioned, my parrot fish are probably my most temperamental, most chasey/problem causing fish. My one likes to chase EVERYTHING, but he can't cause any harm to anything bec of the way his mouth is shaped. My convicts I mentioned are breeding pairs, the parrot can't even catch a med. size fry; I've seen him try for guppies though. His mouth is always open and in a V shape. It never closes completely. EVER.

idk if you know this, but parrot fish do not exist in nature. The blood parrot, or jelly bean parrots is a cross between a red devil cichlid and a severum cichlid (I've heard of other crosses creating parrots...nonetheless). The red devil in them accounts for their attitude, the severum in them gives them their round/disc like shape and size. Anyway, because of this, I wouldn't worry about your SAE, Usually parrot fish have deformed mouths and although they get large enough to technically cause harm, they usually cannot.

As their mouth does not physically open or function well enough for the parrots to cause damage. Mine just chase everything. Even my oscar, who turns tail and shows the parrot who's boss most of the time...but again, that's the red devil in them. They're just a silly man-made fish, I wouldn't be worried at all.

If your fish CAN close his mouth AND open it wide, then it likely developed without the common deformity. Erm, if the SAE's are large enough not to fit right into his mouth, then u should be okay I think. In my experience, parrots just like to chase, I don't find them trying to eat everything like how my oscar likes to.

OneLittleBubble
Yeah I know they are man-made, but never knew the family tree. I always thought how my severum looked like a yellow parrot fish. Still why are there so many videos of parrot fish with a large fish in their mouth

Sarah73
parrotfish get bigger than your SAE, so they are likely gonna disappear over the next few years.

FishGirl38
Go ahead and google a red devil if u don't know what it looks like already...He's the main reason the parrot likes eating other fish. lol. Severum can eat other fish but their mouths aren't quite as big. If your parrot has a 'normal' looking mouth, if his lips meet and close completely...I would be a bit concerned....But my parrots are also the most slow growing fish in my tank....next to my salvini.

I'll try to post a picture of blue and razzle, My parrots. So you can get an idea of how 'deformed' yours might be. Mine are definitely messed up. But they're cute.

OneLittleBubble
So the people that have killer parrot fish are the ones that aren't deformed? Will my gold severum eat them? Mine looks like it's smiling so does that mean he is deformed?

Sarah73
do you know how goldfish are formed? breeder keep making them worse and worse, not caring if there are any deformities. It's really sad.

OneLittleBubble
Yes, I know and I don't like it either. That's why I like the common goldfish the best. Although I like the ryukin a lot I don't like how they deformed the body so much that it has trouble with the swim bladder and can't even live 5 years without getting problems.

Sarah73
Yes, I know and I don't like it either. That's why I like the common goldfish the best. Although I like the ryukin a lot I don't like how they deformed the body so much that it has trouble with the swim bladder and can't even live 5 years without getting problems.
common feeder goldfish? or?

OneLittleBubble
Yeah, the ones at the carnival. I keep it in my 90 gallon kiddy pool outside in the summer

I saved it I'm so happy. His 2 other friends died though

FishGirl38
The feeder goldfish might be the worse off in terms of health at a breeders hands though. Sure the ryukin and ranchu types have been bred into deformities on purpose, but with feeder goldfish. The breeders rarely care HOW the fry turn out or how they look, because they're feeders. Imo they're probably the most hardy, but I'd say comets are the most exploited. They're just lucky they're not being bred into deformity on purpose like how the ranchu and ryukins are. I'm waiting for the e-mail to myself to post those pics of my parrots. They're coming though, I won't be able to tell you what your's is capable of without a picture of him, but if he doesn't look like mine, it may be cause for concern later down the road.

Sarah73
That's good to hear, but that is very common. the fish at the carnival aren't treated well at all nor get what they need to live. back to the thread though, just watch the parrot fish.

OneLittleBubble
Well if you are talking about deformities then all goldfish are deformed the only non-deformed goldfish is the koi. Back to the topic what does a deformed parrot fish look like.

FishGirl38
Okay, So these are my parrots. Blue (the yellow looking one) and razzle (the pinker looking one).

While I was taking these pictures, my parrot fish started harassing my oscar like what I was talking about.

But hopefully you can see (ESPECIALLY on blue) how their lips look like kissing gouramis? I tried to get one where you can see their mouth open (the hole/black spot that is their mouth). My parrots are ALWAYS like this. Mouths always open, when they eat, they just go up to w/e it is and suck. They don't open and close their mouths. When razzle instigates stuff with my oscar, he pushes him. Just swims into him...rather than opening and biting him or anything.

Attachments

• 20180517_131726.jpg
    20180517_131726.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 20180517_131737.jpg
    20180517_131737.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 267
  • 20180517_131740.jpg
    20180517_131740.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 20180517_131742.jpg
    20180517_131742.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 218
  • 20180517_131804.jpg
    20180517_131804.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 20180517_131822.jpg
    20180517_131822.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20180517_131832.jpg
    20180517_131832.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 20180517_131855.jpg
    20180517_131855.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 180
OneLittleBubble
Ummm about showing my fish I am not sure if they will stay still they like to jet around especially since I just moved them this morning. I can try to show you a picture when I come back home, at 3:30?

FishGirl38
yeah! that's fine, w/e is good for you.

But, does your parrot-fish look like mine at all? with it's mouth? Mine kinda look like they're smiling but..theirs are mre of an o shape than anything. zooming in helps I think, my pictures aren't the best.

OneLittleBubble
Ewwwww what is this new avatar. It's so ugly.

Hipsterkipster
My red parrot fish have deformed mouths that look like upside down triangles. I believe they sucked up and some of the smaller (less than an inch) fish I attempted to introduce long ago.

I don't keep Siamese Algae Eaters, so I'd like to know if they're fast swimmers. If anything, they might attach to the slow red parrots and suck off their slime when your fish are older.

I hope things work out.

OneLittleBubble
Nah a true siamese algae eater will maintain it's love for algae even when it grows up

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Is his mouth deformed?

Hipsterkipster
It's sort of dark, so it's a bit tough to tell. He seems partially deformed from the picture. Have you watched him eat? Does he close his mouth?

Edit: He's a cutie

OneLittleBubble
I have to feed them again hold on this time I'm going to watch him.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg I hope these help. I can't really see it in the picture though

Actually I'm really surprised they didn't destroy the plants yet *knock on wood* because so many people said they would

bizaliz3
Actually I'm really surprised they didn't destroy the plants yet *knock on wood* because so many people said they would

That's because they are tiny. ;-) just wait til they get bigger.

OneLittleBubble

image.jpeg He munches on it, but I can't really tell if he is closing his mouth

Wait are they babies?

image.jpg
image.jpg Is he a baby too?

bizaliz3
Wait are they babies?

Arent you aware of how large parrots get??

Is he a baby too?

I'd call them all juvies. Not babies. Definitely far from adults!

OneLittleBubble
Yeah, but they told me he was a juvenile

bizaliz3
Yeah, but they told me he was a juvenile

Yes. They are juviniles with a LOT of growing to do.

Mcasella
He has a partially functioning mouth so he likely will be able to chew on smaller fish he catches but he can't completely close it. I have two blood parrots that still aren't full grown that are nearly 7 inches long.

OneLittleBubble
Will they be able to eat a 6 inch SAE

FishGirl38
Probably not. But I wouldn't go adding baby SAE's to the tank either. And that gold severum is going to get at least 12 in in diameter if not larger. They're pretty fish though. I love mine.

OneLittleBubble
Oh, awesome because the parrots love to bully him. He has some nipped fins, but I don't know if it was from the pet store or from the parrots

bizaliz3
What size is your tank?

OneLittleBubble
it's only a 55. SHould I move him when he gets bigger

bizaliz3
it's only a 55. SHould I move him when he gets bigger

Ya. If they all get to be the max size, the 55 might get a little narrow for them. I guess you could play it by ear. But I don't think 2 full-sized blood parrots and a full sized severum will co-exist well in a 55. BUT, I have no experience with them, so I shouldn't talk! I will defer to the others on that one. But I am thinking you may need to rehome someone, or upgrade, at some point in the future.

FishGirl38
Wow, honestly, the pictures make the tank look like it's a 150. Mine are in a 75 and I'll need to re-home them...They'll outgrow your tank but it'll take awhile. I kept my parrots and severum in a 45 till not too long ago.

Your parrots bully your severum now. But the severum will surely grow faster than the parrot, so...He'll be big enough to fight the parrot off soon.

OneLittleBubble
Yes, you got this severum! There is only one parrot bully though and the other parrot is nice to him I think. Will parrots nip fins? I found that his fins were nipped. Was it from the pet store? Will the severum eat the SAE?

bizaliz3
Yes, you got this severum! There is only one parrot bully though and the other parrot is nice to him I think.

Again, these are juveniles. If you are having issues NOW....they will only be way worse when they are adults. You realize that right??

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProtimAquatics
Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
psalm18.2
  • Question
Replies