Parrot Fish Doensn’t Grow

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by Sharonsrf, Apr 17, 2018.

1. S

Sharonsrf New Member Member

I bought 9 parrot fish 9 months ago and all of them were in the same size. But there’s one of my parrot fish doens’t grow at all while others were already growing big and fat. Anyone can help? Thanks!

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Ok, I did a little searching and it is quite possible that the fish is a "runt in the litter"

3. OP
    OP
    S

He is growing well in the environment just that he doesn’t grow big in size. Possible to be a runt too? Previously there were 3 of them that doens’t grow. And always hiding under the bridge together when they sleep. But slowly the other 2 grew, only left this little one.

4. GrayGray4231

Yea, he is most likely a runt.

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Is he being out-competed for food??

6. GrayGray4231

If it was being out-competed for food and she had had it for 9 months, it would not still be alive.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It's obvious that the BP is the low man on the totem pole. You could maybe try to put it in another tank to fatten it up for a few months. Perhaps that might help out.

It's getting food, it's just getting the left overs from dinner.

8. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Not true at all! Outcompeted for food doesn't necessarily mean that the little guy is getting literally nothing. He just might not be getting as much as the rest of them, or as much as he needs to thrive....causing him to grow slower and maybe even be a little stunted.

9. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

How large is the tank?

10. GrayGray4231

Well, yea I guess :p

11. OP
    OP
    S

I observed him for quite long. Realized that he do eat but in a very rush way. Swim to eat and back to his place. Eventhough if there’s still lots of food and other fish did not eat, he don really dare to come out and eat. This only happen during feeding time. Other time he will come out and stay with them.

Currently in 3 ft tank. But planning to upgrade the tank as the rest are growing kinda fast

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  12. GrayGray4231

Gallon size??

13. OP
    OP
    S

i will try this method! And see whether he grow or not. But he’s still very scare of us.

45 gallon

14. GrayGray4231

Huh...? That is odd.......is he jumpy or skiddish at all??

15. FriarThomasIII

honestly, 45 gallons is small for 9 parrots. are you going to upgrade soon?

16. OP
    OP
    S

Yea. Planning to upgrade. Cause when i got the tank from others, and the fish were so small when i bought them. But recently this 2 months i see them growing super fast. So planning to upgrade to a bigger one. What size should i get for 9 of them?

He is very playful during normal time. But all 9 of them are afraid of us. They will still hide when we get near the tank (after so long!) but coming out only when they see we’re holding their food.

17. GrayGray4231

I would personally put them in a 200.

18. FriarThomasIII

Probably somewhere between 180 and 200 gallons for them all

19. GrayGray4231

That might be it, he is probably scared of the other fish to go eat the leftover food when he is hungry again.

20. OP
    OP
    S

Then should i bring him to another tank alone? Btw his colour is super red and nice. Whereby i have one big in size but pale orange in colour. Sometimes very pale orange. I asked around the fish shops and they just tell me they don know.

I’ll upgrade to 200 gallons for them asap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice