Parrot Fish And Siamese Algae Eaters?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I currently have a tank with 2 parrot fish a smaller baby cichlid and one siamese algae eater and I was wondering if my parrot fish would eat him when they grow up. They are about 2 1/2 inches to 3 right now so about how big would they have to be to be able to eat him.
Now I will address some problems in the tank currently:
They are in a 30 gallon going to upgrade soon
There is only one SAE so I will bring more in when I upgrade the tank

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crossicheilus Siamensis (true SAE) will grow to over 6", but they grow slowly like any other Carp. He should be fine, as long as the Parrots learn to accept him as part of the environment. But then, Parrots grow much faster, so it's going to boil down to the 2 of them as individuals.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought that only flying foxes will grow to 6 inches I researched a lot, but I find that many people have them mistaken. I often should I feed my him and he doesn't seem to be getting rid of my algae problem, but he looks real.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does he float? Crossicheilus cannot float do to very small swim bladders. Also, the black line will extend all the way to the tip of the tail.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He has no black fins, he has clear ones, I'm not sure if he floats or not all I know is that he is always face flat against the filter, his tail has black on it too.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mick Frost said:
Yeah thats mine. Took me forever to find a supplier here who knows the difference.
I know right. All I ever find are CAEs or flying foxes. Mine are about 9 months old and 5 inches already
0506181801.jpg

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably the worst thing about trying to source true SAEs is the complete lack of reliable information available. The only true, perfect way to tell is by the shape of the mouth. Its also entirely possible that the 6 or 7 species that are commonly confused are all found in the same streams have interbred at some point. My last batch were only about 3" after over 2 years before I had to sell them to move.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do believe this batch is Crossicheilus Langei, looks like Dave's might be as well. 6" adults, yay!
There are a couple smaller subspecies, but identification beyond Crossicheilus is pretty much impossible until they reach 3-4".
Kinda makes me want to get 10 more tanks and attempt to stock all of them... And drive myself crazy trying to figure it out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom