parrot fish advice

1. Latinababe423 Initiate Member

Hey :;hi2 I just got 2 killin parrot fish today they r still baby's no more then 2 inchs. Do you have any advise on them they are so cute!

2. apple429 Well Known Member Member

you should send a message to aquarist48 he has 13 or 14 of them... he would be the best one to ask!!!

WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!!!! :;toast

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Wow!!! I have a Bonsai Kilin FH, which might be what you might have!! It is a cross (obviously) between a parrot fish and a Flowerhorn. I attached some pictures. My Bonsai Kilin FH lives with an Oscar and 2 Parrot Fish. The Bonsai is only about 2.5 inches long and I have had him for like a year now. I am upgrading to a 125 gln tank for them to swim in. They have been together all their lives and they (especially the Oscar) are his best buddies. Ask me anything you want to know. Are they mean? yes Are they aggressive? yes Do they have a lot of personality? yes. I know a lot about them for having him for a year. Do you have any pictures. Let me see
    !!!!!:;banaman

Yes i do i have 2 about6 inches there mouthes are small so crush up there food they can lay eggs but they dont hatch if they get black spot's that is from stress so dont put medical stuff they rarely get sick so ya watch carefuly

Attached Files:

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

What size is your tank?

I currently have 5 and love them. I have them in a 125 with the intentions of upgrading their tank to a 200+ in a couple years.

My advice, finish you stocking before they get too much bigger. Mine got more "testy" about new tankmates as they got older. My largest one (my other died that was the same age, stress) use to be EVIL with new tank mates and I just added 4 more parrots and they are much happier. He wasn't such a jerk when I added the rest.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

First of all, are you aware of the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle? <--LINK underlined in blue. It is crucial to fish keeping. Check it out and if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

A few of links for you:
    http://www.petfish.net/articles/Cich...ood_parrot.php
    (note: Info states up to 8" as an adult, my largest at the moment is 10" x 8")

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Cich...d%20Parrot.htm

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=2852

These fish are very shy for quiet some time. It took mine two weeks to come out while I sat in front of the tank for feeding. Even after 1 year, they hide when I walk into the room, but they come right back out.

My elders, I couldn't get them to hide if I wanted them to. :) Give them a long time to adapt to their environment.

Terracotta pots and ornaments make great hiding places for Bloody Parrots. Too, terracotta is porous and will house beneficial bacteria needed to sustain the tanks cycle. I never clean my terracotta. Personally I think it looks better with some age and even some algae. :)

They can be very shy for the first month or so. It took me two weeks to get mine to come out to feed with me watching them. I used Tropical Crisps to start with, holding a pinch under the water a few seconds then letting them go, as close to the fish as possible.

I sit in front of my tanks a lot especially when I have new fish. Coaxing them out, sitting still and just watching them. Once them come out and start feeding from the surface, then I switch to the pellets below as a staple food:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12144

The pellets come in 3 sizes, I start with the small and work my way up. Too, I feed a variety of foods, Freeze Dried Presoaked, earthworms, krill, red shrimp as treats a couple of times per week.

Fish Foods I'm currently using along with the staple Blood Red Parrot Pellet:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist48/102685-new-fish-food.html

Too, don't be surprised if the fish starts showing black blotches for the first year or so. It's completely normal. They will go away on their own without any medications or special treatment. They just get black on them from time to time throughout the first year. Not sure why but it is nothing to worry about. Just part of them growing up.

You have to be careful choosing tank mates for Bloody Parrots. They cannot defend themselves by biting as other fish do. However, they are not totally defenseless. They will act together or as a group with the aggression they do have. They will push fish out of the way anytime they want. :) Do not house them with aggressive species.

Breeding:
    Most males of this species are sterile, but not all. Finding a fertile male can prove to be very difficult. Out of 13 Bloody Parrots I've had many spawns but no fertile eggs. The eggs usually turn white after a couple of days and they are eaten by the parents.

Have fun and enjoy your new fish. Many of mine are 13 years old now! :)

As another member has asked, what size tank do you have for these fish? I suggest at least 55g for 2 Bloody Parrots as a permanent home. I do suggest that these fish be kept in pairs if not more. They do appreciate buddies of their own kind.

Ken

:animal0068:If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. You can access the Profile by clicking on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE Changes at the bottom of the page when you are done.

Completing your Aquarium Profile will aid others with any responses they may have. :) Thanks!

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I don't know if you were talking to me or the original poster. He said he had two new ones. I have one that is only about a year old with his best buddy the Oscar and two Parrot fish. They are currently in a 60, but I am currently working on getting a 100+ for them. They have outgrown the 60 in the last month or two. I got them all when the were juvenilles and my Bonsai FH will not easily accept anyone else. I tried to put a couple fish in there temp., but the Bonsai made their lives miserable so I had to yank them out and set up another tank. So I know what you mean.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have had pretty much the same experience when adding new fish to a tank stocked with Bloody Parrots. They do not take kindly to new additions. If the new fish can immediately go to a hiding spot, free from the Bloody Parrot aggression, after an hour or so, they tend to forget about the new addition.

I wouldn't expect a Flowerhorn/Bloody Parrot (BP)mix to accept anyone. It's my understanding that Flowerhorns should be housed in their own tank with no tank mates. So I guess this is true for the Flowerhorn/Bloody Parrot mix. (?)

I haven't had any issues by adding a BP to my existing stock. The new Bloody Parrots are accepted just like they had been in the aquarium all along. I even have a 3" juvenile with my 10" x 8" in 13 year old adult...no problems. The juvenile will stand up to all of the large fish. :)

Ken

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Actually, I raised the Bonsai Flowerhorn with 3 other fish from being a very young juvenille. He accepts them just fine, just don't try to put anyone new in the tank now. That is an aggression fest and the victim is lucky to come out with their lives. I am just very happy I brought him up with the other fish.... now I can move them all together into the 100+ tank I am working on getting. It is less than a month away now.

Wendy

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to hear they are getting along Wendy! :) That's great!

Ken

10. Latinababe423 Initiate Member

Thank you everyone for posting and I have a 20 gallon holding the 2 baby kilin parrot flower horn at the moment just got them yesterday an I will try and get a pic when I get home I will post in about a hour or 2. But for some reason they aren't eating what should I do? I tryed blood worms, baby shrimp, flakes, blood parrot pellets and I even tryed hand feeding but nothing. I checked the ph and it's 7.2

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Give your fish time to adapt to their new environment.

You can try holding a pinch of flakes under water for a few seconds and then let go. The food should sink. Let it sink as close to the fish as you can and walk away. Once they start coming out to feed, then you can switch to pellets and other foods.

I've never kept the Parrot Flower Horn, but if they are anything like the Bloody Parrots, they can be shy for quiet some time.

Do not over feed your fish simply because you do not see them eat. They will eat when they get hungry. :)

:animal0068:Too, If you would please, complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This will aid others with responses they may have. To access the Profile click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE Changes at the bottom of the page when you are done.

Keep us posted.

Ken

12. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Not sure how big yours are but I hope you plan to upgrade to a larger tank soon. I had two of mine (both were 3") in my 29 temporarily after moving my 55 gallon and turning it salt and it was a pain to keep them eating.

I've also never heard of parrot flower horns, can you maybe post a photo?

What kind of food are you feeding? Freeze dried? Frozen? Live? What size Pellet? What size are the fish? As for feeding mine never turn down frozen. If I am really having issues I mix bloodworms and mysis shrimp. Mysis is the trick to get super picky eaters to eat. If they still aren't eating maybe try live? My guys are super weird about flakes too. They will eat it if I don't offer anything else but they don't like it. I also feed mine NLS pellets, "tropical pellets", spiralina flat pellet crisp things, tropical flat pellet crisp things, then if I want to feed flake I actually feed this "crisp" thing. They are made by tetra, they are called tetramin tropical crisps. They basically remind me of like 5-6 flakes on top of eachother. I really like these over regular flakes. I almost never feed regular flakes anymore.

EDIT: mine also eat shrimp pellets and algae wafers :p

13. Latinababe423 Initiate Member

Well I tried mostly everything I give me blood parrots but nothing worked:( kind of getting frustrated lol. The blood worms are the only food I give to them alive and the pellet size is "bite size". And I just measured now and one is 1 1/2 and the other just barely hit 2 by his mouth lol and for some reason it won't let me post from my phone anyway of doing it? Says I need a URL code

14. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'd try smaller pellets and see. I'm not sure about "bite" sized.

15. Latinababe423 Initiate Member

Your bonsai are GORGEOUS! How long did it take to get the hump on the head of did it come like that when you got him/her? and mine have different mouths then yours they are a lot wider and the bottom lip doesn't go over(they look like they are smiling more then my parrots mouths lol) and i just posted the pic right now:)

16. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

e_, theres pics of them posted by wendy i belive. Up higher in the thread.

17. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

nope says I am logged out of AOL. Try to save it and then upload it to photobucket or tinypic and you can get a URL link from there.

Solitarianknight---I'm pretty sure those aren't the OPs those are wendys.

18. Latinababe423 Initiate Member

[​IMG] did it work noww?

19. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Indeed it did. Cute little guys. How big is their tank? do you have any hiding places for them?

20. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Wow I like them. They are super pretty :)