parrot cichlids

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by steveredlakefallsmn, Apr 6, 2010.

1. steveredlakefallsmn

steveredlakefallsmn Valued Member Member

just out of curiosity what kind of fish get along with the parrot cichlid?or are they pretty good for all tank buddys?my wife went and thought she would do me a favor and buy me a porrot cichlid,and she put it in the tank with out letting me know.now i have one,and not sure about this fish.also she thought my tank was ready for another fish,but im not done with the ich,at least i think so,there are no signs of it any more but???all the rest of the fish seem to be ok.very active,seem to be happy.just the other day they seemed a little different,slow sluggish,but now are doing great.is there such things as a merical in a tank?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

parrots need other parrots to truely be happy ...and require a 55g or larger...they get the size of a softball or bigger :)
    they can be with pretty much all kinds of different cichlids and fish....though I wouldnt keep them with more community type fish like mollies guppies etc...they can be aggressive as in chasing and harassing, but to do damage is not always possible as their crazy mouth structure doesnt allow it LOL ....great fish tho!

3. OP
    OP
    steveredlakefallsmn

i agree it is avery unique fish.i will have to tell my wife to get me an 55 gal for my birth day this month,he he he.

4. Shawnie

a 55g with another parrot fish :) seeing how she surprised you , let her know its needed for the crazy things :) I have 2 and they are very entertaining to watch for sure ......

5. R

Red Tiger New Member Member

I also wouldnt keep them with african cichlids either. They are a man made cichlid made from central american cichlids and maybe some souths. Who Knows? :)

6. Shawnie

africans are a species only IMO

7. OP
    OP
    steveredlakefallsmn

very entertaining seems to have a great personality,seems to watch my every move when i come in to the room.trying to come up with a name for it,or is that not what you do for your fish?

8. Shawnie

:;rl I use to name ALL my fish...but then my fish seemed to get in the hundreds and my memory is awful!!
    but my parrots are pete and repete :)

9. OP
    OP
    steveredlakefallsmn

whats a good food to feed them with?

10. Shawnie

all my cichlids get a homemade food which you can search for on fishlore....many members have some great recipes ...but varied diet is best....hikari makes a great floating pellet (which they love as their mouth is funky) and I get the medium sized one for them....spirulina flakes, omega one flakes and kens premium flakes.....again do a search on cichlid homemade foods to get some great ideas :)

11. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hi just my input on my 2 parrots and their tank mates :)

I feed my parrots, normal tropical flakes and cichlid pellets most of the time, and then every now and again I will give them frozen bloodworm which they love!

My 2 parrots share my 72G with the following fish:

2 angelfish
    3 boseman rainbows
    1 bolivian ram
    4 green tiger barbs
    1 angel catfish
    1 bristlenose pleco

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Steve,

Congrats on the new Bloody Parrot! Some great information above. I agree that your Bloody Parrot will be much happier with a tank mate of his/her own kind in at least a 55g tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iCpsGRzhzQ

Above is a video of my Bloody Parrots and tank mates. I hope you enjoy it. If you'll click on my screen name and go to my profile, there are a couple of photo albums there too.

:animal0068:I'm moving your thread to the Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates/Hybrids/Parrot Cichlid section of the forum.

I feed my fish a staple pellet.
    In the second link for the food, you can order the pellets in different sizes.
    In addition to the Pellet they love presoaked freeze dried krill. My fish are fed once per day.

Bloody Parrots love to hide at times and for their hiding places I use terracotta pots and ornaments. The terracotta being porous also adds housing for good bacteria to help keep your tank cycled.

I've been keeping Bloody Parrots for close to 10 years now. My largest is almost 9x6.5 now. All of them were babies when I purchased them, barely bigger than a quarter.

I hope you enjoy your new found friend/friends. Congrats to the wife! :)
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ken

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  13. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

Ken I love your tank pics of your bloody parrots
    Definitly listen to ken, he has had the best advice on blood parrots
    they are great fish and by far my favorite, one of mine hand feeds each day and will let me pet it when i feed him
    great personality fish:;2cents

14. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Parrots are the most personable fish. I have 3 and they are in with danios and a rainbow shark. Only the smallest parrot plays tag with the shark. But no damage done. I mean, how scary can it be being chased around by something with a constant huge grin on its face? ;D

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks Kloseo! I appreciate it.
    They really are a joy to have :)

Ken

16. OP
    OP
    steveredlakefallsmn

i have a question to anyone who could answer,just checked on my parrots on my noon break,and i noticed a black spot on its tail fin is this bad news or just a pigment change.i didnt notice it last nite or this a.m,seemed to show up rather quick.any help would be great if that is possible.dont have much more info on it yet at this time.i will be checking again after work today.hope it is nothing serious,these are my favorite fish.im also planning on moveing them to my new 55 gal tank,but havent got it set up quite yet.thanks for everyones help here on fish lore,this site ROCKS.

17. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

A little info for you:

Blood Parrot cichlids are the only fish that can get Black spot disease. This disease is very common among parrot cichlids and displays itself as black spots on the fish. This is not normal or healthy and you should never buy Blood parrot cichlids that display signs of black spot disease. This disease can be a result of poor water quality and effected fish will get better if you improve the water quality. If the water quality isn’t poor the fish can get better after a few days. Black spots can however also be a sign of that your fish is in spawning mood.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/bloodparrot.php

18. OP
    OP
    steveredlakefallsmn

thank you lindaB,i just hope it is the ready for spawning mood,my water is in great shape soooo,i hope it will go away in a while.thanks again for the info,very helpful web site.

19. Shawnie

parrots will get black,brown,grey spots throughout their lifetime ....so dont always assume its a disease ....they get the spots/color changes often with moods....

20. OP
    OP
    steveredlakefallsmn

thank you shawnie,nice to here from you again,i have taken your advice and picked up a bigger tank,just have to wait till the end of the month to pick it up,then the fun begins once again.my wife says im starting to grow fins myself.i also picked up a master test kit wow what a differance that makes no more test strips for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice