Parrot Cichlid Tank Size

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by PepperidgeFarms, Aug 8, 2018.

1. PepperidgeFarms

PepperidgeFarmsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi, I've been looking for a fish to put in my 36 gallon and really am liking the naturally coloured parrot cichlids. I know they get larger and would eventually need a bigger tank but I'm wondering how long if any length of time would be safe in the 36 gallon still? Like if I got it as a baby could I have him for a couple years before moving up? Also would a 45 gallon work for full sized. Im a fan of them but if people think it wouldn't be a good situation I totally understand, just want your thoughts. Thanks!

2. BichirKeeper84

BichirKeeper84Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +251
    Experience:
    4 years
    A 36 gallon would make an excellent growout tank for a blood parrot. That being said after about a year or will probably need a 4 foot tank minimum. That being said I personally think you could keep one in a 40b with no other cichlids if you so choose. 40b is important because it has a greater foot print than a standard 55. 18 inches front to back as opposed to 12 mashed a big difference. I've kept them off and on for a few years now. Right now I've got a small grow out bp in a 135

3. OP
    OP
    PepperidgeFarms

PepperidgeFarmsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Oh cool, thanks!

4. Kalyke

KalykeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +338
    Experience:
    5 years
    I believe the "rule" was 30 for the first one and 10 each after that. I have a 75 and will keep 4 but they are tiny right now and I have them in a 20.