Parrot cichlid covered in ich

Mmiabda926

Hi everyone,

I need some help with my parrot cichlid. I'll admit that I dont stay on top of the maintenance on this tank like I do with my reef tank. My wife just called me at work to say that the parrot cichlid in my 220g turtle/cichlid tank is covered in white spots and upside down. Last night I noticed he was starting to develop some white spots. I put off last week's water change and figured I would do it tonight. That always clears him right up. Unfortunately, he's going downhill fast. My wife said he was upside down and my turtle started acting him. He's starting to develop some fun rot. I had my wife take him out and put him in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and a heater. She put half a tablet of ich guard in there. Someone told me I should use ich-x but I can't find any at the LFS. I do have some cupermine at home. Would that be too harsh on him? He's still upside down.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? Normally 220g, but now he's in a 5 gallon bucket.
How long has the tank been running? 3 years
Does it have a filter? 3 canister filters. I completely clean one out of the three filter every 1-2 months.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 75.7
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
2 red eared sliders, 2 plecos, 1 red devil cichlid, 1 jewel cichlid, 1 parrot cichlid

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a month
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Tetrasafe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Sometimes
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 60
pH: unknown

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? About a tablespoon
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one cichlid pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Rarely

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Covered in white spots, fins turning white and fraying, and now unable to.keep himself upright
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Moved fish into 5 gallon bucket and added 1/2 tab of ich guard
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes, not eating or swimming

AggressiveAquatics

I would put him back on the tank and treat the whole tank. If he’s completely covered in ich id assume it’s at the point where the other fish have it now. Ask your wife to check for spots on the other fish and maybe order some ich x on Amazon. For not what your using will work until you get it. Although I don’t know if it’s turtle safe
As for him being upside down it could be swim bladder but you may need to check is he’s still responsive

Upvote 0

Mmiabda926

Yeah I'm definitely going to treat the whole tank. Just wanted to get him into some cleaner water and away from the turtle. I just wanted to make sure it's safe to use cupermine on a fish this sick. I wasn't sure if there's something else I should do. With saltwater, a freshwater dip helps to alleviate symptoms. Is there an equivalent for freshwater?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Yeah I'm definitely going to treat the whole tank. Just wanted to get him into some cleaner water and away from the turtle. I just wanted to make sure it's safe to use cupermine on a fish this sick. I wasn't sure if there's something else I should do. With saltwater, a freshwater dip helps to alleviate symptoms. Is there an equivalent for freshwater?
Yep for freshwater you do a saltwater dip. You can look up articles on that because I’m not sure the exact amounts of salt to add or how long to leave them

Upvote 0

A201

Unless there were new fish recently introduced, a severe drop in temperature or an extended steady decline in water quality, the problem might not be Ich. If possible post pics.
If the Parrot is in an inverted position, what ever is wrong is advanced.
Cupramine is unchelated Copper Sulfate and is very effective against parasites.
Although your tank is XL, I'm surprised the Red Devil tolerates the Parrot.
Considering the Parrot is at least 3
yrs. old, looks like you've done a good job keeping him. The Parrot might simply be aging out, or might have been the victim of aggression.
Hope things get better soon.

Upvote 0

Mmiabda926

Just got home and set up a hospital tank with ich guard. The rest of the fish are active and swimming but my red devil has a few spots on his fins. Gonna do a massive water change now and then get some medication for that tank tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 20210106_212936.jpg
    20210106_212936.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210106_212931.jpg
    20210106_212931.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210106_212904.jpg
    20210106_212904.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210106_212917.jpg
    20210106_212917.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210106_212901.jpg
    20210106_212901.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Mmiabda926

Unfortunately he didn't make it. I think he was too far gone. Considering how quickly he got sick and died, my guess is it was velvet. I'm definitely staying on top of water changes and keeping the temps around 82. If the other fish show any signs, I'll immediately treat them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hemikyle
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
sydrc
Replies