Parrot Chichlid

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by Sammyboi1993, Mar 23, 2010.

1. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

Today is was at my Local Fish Store and i came across what was labeled as a Bloody parrot but unlike all the pictures on here this one was a blacky/grey colour but im not sure weather to get one, im moveing all my guppys and Tetra's into a 20 gallon and im not sure if theyd have enough room in a 35 gallon, any ideas?

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

The black/grey coloring is the coloring of juv. parrot cichlids. I currently have one in my tank but he's a more brown/ grey I'll try to get a picture of him after I get off work tonight.

EDIT: Oh and they get VERY large so a 35 gallon tank would be pushing it. I have three in a 50 gal and they are all still VERY small, like smaller than they usually have in a pet store. And I plan to bump them up to a larger tank soon.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

thats a juvie :) they have those brown/black/gray colors until they grow up....35g cannot house a parrot as they get the size of a softball...and do much better with a pair or more

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Sammy,

I'm so glad you're doing your research first before making any purchases. It will save you a lot of heartache.

I agree with the above posters that 55g or more would be more appropriate to house the Bloody Parrots. My largest at the moment is almost 9x6. They love to be with other members of their own kind, at least 1 buddy if not more. They are a wonderful species!

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    S

Well I Don't think ill be buying one then :) Are Their any other Chichlids that would be okay in my size tank? In a few days im moveing my guppys and mollies into a seperate tank. Thanks Sam

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. Shawnie

according to your info, you already have 2 parrots, rbs, loaches, rams, gouramis, & headstanders..(not sure what those are lol) is this the same tank thats 33g or do you have another tank?

8. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure most cichlids are too large for that size tank, plus they like to have many of their kind in the same tank. I believe there are some dwarf variety of africans but I think they still get pretty large.

9. Shawnie

theres not many africans (if any at all ) that will tolerate a 33g tank..they are just too agressive..even the smaller ones :(

10. OP
    OP
    S

Okay Thanks :)

11. Shawnie

are all those fish already in your 33g tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice