Parrot And Convict Breeding Advice

lonehunter

just wanted to share this rare occurrence between a convict Cichlid and a parrot Cichlid breeding I hope most of them survive but does anybody have any tips on keeping them alive and growing fast this is my first time ever having fry

and did I mention this was rare

Bry

Like the convict and parrot are the parents? Is that even biologically possible? I'm intruiged.

Rtessy

Nice! Interesting to see a fertile BP, those are pretty rare! I assume the BP is the female?
For the babies, honestly I'm not sure what you should do. Do you have any live food? If so, what?

lonehunter

Bry said:
Like the convict and parrot are the parents? Is that even biologically possible? I'm intruiged.
Well it turns out it is possible

Rtessy

lonehunter said:
Well it turns out it is possible
I think BP's can breed with most cichlids since they're just a mix of several. They're even the starting point for flowerhorns! Just look at King Kong Parrots; if they get a big enough nuchal hump they're considered flowerhorns, if not, they're just King Kong Parrot Cichlids. One of the earliest flowehorns, I think it went to the Golden Monkey after that.
The real issue is finding a fertile Blood Parrot, since most hybrid fish are infertile. Breeding two blood parrots together is practically impossible, same with flowehorns, but breeding them to other cichlids is much more possible.
Do you know if the BP is the male or female? If you have a fertile male, that's quite a rarity. Even if it's a fertile female, you still won't see that too often!

CaptAnnDuchow

My female lays eggs like crazy but alas my male is sterile. Maybe I will eventually get a convict .. Cant wait to see what these babys look like!

Coptapia

Female blood parrots are fertile. It’s only the males that aren’t (most of them).

lonehunter

Rtessy said:
I think BP's can breed with most cichlids since they're just a mix of several. They're even the starting point for flowerhorns! Just look at King Kong Parrots; if they get a big enough nuchal hump they're considered flowerhorns, if not, they're just King Kong Parrot Cichlids. One of the earliest flowehorns, I think it went to the Golden Monkey after that.
The real issue is finding a fertile Blood Parrot, since most hybrid fish are infertile. Breeding two blood parrots together is practically impossible, same with flowehorns, but breeding them to other cichlids is much more possible.
Do you know if the BP is the male or female? If you have a fertile male, that's quite a rarity. Even if it's a fertile female, you still won't see that too often!
I know that the convict is a male because of his dorsal and very small hump it’s barely visible but it’s their so by the default the female is the parrot oh and know I don’t have any live food I just ordered some ocean Nutrition baby brine shrimp but in the mean time I’m them crushed pellets I use for the parents should I get flakes to

Gourami36

I think jellybean parrot cichlids are from a male pink convict and a female bp. Apparently they are deformed convicts. If it was a male bp and female convict they probably wouldn’t breed because most male bp can’t breed

Rtessy

lonehunter said:
I know that the convict is a male because of his dorsal and very small hump it’s barely visible but it’s their so by the default the female is the parrot oh and know I don’t have any live food I just ordered some ocean Nutrition baby brine shrimp but in the mean time I’m them crushed pellets I use for the parents should I get flakes to
Are those the ones that don't hatch? I haven't raised cichlids, so I don't know if they need live food, but I bet there are tons of YouTube videos with way more info than I have. Hope it goes well for you!

lonehunter

Rtessy said:
Also forgot to mention what live foods do you recommend

Rtessy said:
Are those the ones that don't hatch? I haven't raised cichlids, so I don't know if they need live food, but I bet there are tons of YouTube videos with way more info than I have. Hope it goes well for you!
No they come in a jar hatched but dead with added nutrients I assume

Rtessy

lonehunter said:
No they come in a jar hatched but dead with added nutrients I assume
Okay great, those should still be great food as they grow. I'm not sure for cichlids, I normally start with microworms, but I think they are too large. If you grind up some flake food, can you see if the babies eat the flakes?

Coptapia

Rtessy said:
They don’t need live food. The fry are big enough to take powdered flake food.
Although I always start cichlids off on frozen lobster eggs. (Bbs are about the same size).

lonehunter

Ok I’ll buy some flakes tommorow morning and see if they eat that

CaptAnnDuchow

lonehunter said:
just wanted to share this rare occurrence with a blood Parrot breeding with a convict and did I mention this was rare
IMO it is only rare because people realize cross breeding a hybrid that already has issues is a bad idea.

jjohnwm

Yeah, this is like the quote from Jurassic Park; you were so busy wondering if you could, you didn't stop to think whether or not you should...

lonehunter

Well I didn’t purposely breed them I just wanted a Cichlid tank their was a Jack Dempsey in their but I had to regime him because he was going to die and I didn’t even know they were breeding I just woke up and saw a bunch of fry in the tank but overall I see nothing wrong with hybrids

Other than some defects

Aquaman9101

I dunno, maybe the convict can bring in safer genes in the offspring at the cost of some colour.

CaptAnnDuchow

lonehunter said:
Well I didn’t purposely breed them I just wanted a Cichlid tank their was a Jack Dempsey in their but I had to regime him because he was going to die and I didn’t even know they were breeding I just woke up and saw a bunch of fry in the tank but overall I see nothing wrong with hybrids
Hybrids themselves are not always bad but the breeding of them shouldnt have continued once original breeders had seen the defects it caused. I wasn't " attacking" you personally. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

candiedragon

Life finds a way. Really interesting.

Gareth9113

This is really cool! congratulations, however parrots are already a hybrid and do have a few problems I have heard of this happening, but most of the time hybrids are infertile (not always but most of the time) so its really cool this has happened but selling hybrid fish is generally hard to do because they don't really look like the parents and sometimes are not looked at as a "good" fish to own. So good luck selling these babies when they are juvis I don't have a problem with hybrids but some people do.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom